Marina S15 Filter - Bad Advice!

ADW1988

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Have I fallen foul to Marina's bad advice. Fishless cycle done and had fish for almost a month (see signature below). Very happy fish.

I do water changes every sunday morning. 20%. I left the filters in there that I cycled with for 2 weeks after cycle completion. Then changed one last sunday as it was really dirty and worn out, and Marina suggest;

"replace every 2-4 weeks".

Yesterday, (7days after the last replacement) I changed a second filter (carbon based one).

Thus 2/3 filter cartridges i did fishless cycle with have gone. I squeezed out both filters several times.. Literally several, both times they were replaced.. I now only have one of the filter carts used for the cycle!!!

Have I fallen foul to the advice of changing filter carts. I done some reading today and perhaps it was a bad idea!

Will not be changing any more.. Any advice on alternatives? I had some oldish Tetra safe start and added the dose specified for filter change but not sure TSS works (had a bad experience).

Ah, does sound like you fallen for the filter brand spiel of replacing filter media.

A lot if brands do this in order to drum up more business and is totally unnecessary IMO to change filter media.

Filter sponges should only be very very gently cleaned every once in a while, just gently swish the sponge in old tank water. Only one sponge at a time, never all sponges at any one time otherwise you run the risk of cleaning off your good bacteria that you need.

Sponges should only ever need replacing when it's really worn out and falling apart! Have heard some people have kept the same sponges in filter for 5+ years without any problems at all.

Ceramic media should always be left alone. Do not replace any unless you took a few out for cycling another tank for example.

Carbon media, would advise to take this out and keep until you need it. Is used for taking out harmful metals or meds from tank. These last only a few weeks. So would suggest to keep in cupboard until needed. You can replace the empty slot with more filter sponge.

Have never used TSS, so cannot really comment although have heard they can be hit and miss.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks Ch4rlie... Tbh, having understood and read q a lot whilst cycling, i blame myself for this!!!..

Replaced 2 out of 3 cartridges containing the good bacteria and ceramics!!!! So v stupid. Just hoping the remaining original one can pull it through so it can re-establish.

Very odd filter this one it seems!! Fingers crossed. Will test the water tonight. Hope still getting the perfect readings I was getting!!!

If there is gna be a bacteria crash and ammonia spike. How long would this take to appear, following my stupidity do you think?

Thanks

If there's going to be an ammonia spike, it will happen very quickly.

But the bacterial colonies can reproduce quite rapidly, so hopefully you won't have any issues; if you do a few extra water changes will tide you over until the bacteria numbers recover.

Don't be too hard on yourself!

These things do happen and other people have done exactly the same thing.

You're not the first and you certainly won't be the last this happen to! :)

Just keep an eye on water parameters and do daily water changes just as Fluttermoth advises and should not take too long to complete this as bacteria will grow fairly rapidly.

Hey thanks peeps. Taken to this hobby and done so much reading.. I shoulda known better but is great to be reassured by that.

Cheers for the help. Certainly will be monitoring very closely.

I googled the predicament and some people have come up with alternatives to the cartridges... q interesting that a company like Hagen can risk the wrong advice. Will be letting the bacs re-establish now.

Fingers crossed..

Ch4rlie said:
Don't be too hard on yourself!

These things do happen and other people have done exactly the same thing.

You're not the first and you certainly won't be the last this happen to!
smile.png

Just keep an eye on water parameters and do daily water changes just as Fluttermoth advises and should not take too long to complete this as bacteria will grow fairly rapidly.

fluttermoth said:
If there's going to be an ammonia spike, it will happen very quickly.

But the bacterial colonies can reproduce quite rapidly, so hopefully you won't have any issues; if you do a few extra water changes will tide you over until the bacteria numbers recover.

looks like i got away with it (touches wood). Ammonia went up to 0.25 so did a 50% change and since i've had 0/0 readings... for past 48 hours...
 Phew....
cheers again

Morning there!

I'm just about ready to dive into buying myself a tank, and I've been looking at the Marina style 60. I just thought I'd ask how you have been getting on with yours since having it? I understand it comes with everything you need to get going (except gravel, decor, fish), and was wondering if you're finding it sufficient and a nice tank to start out with?
I've done a fair amount of research, but always best to get first hand advice!

Thanks

Ash

Most reactions

Back