Managing floating plants - Tip

Bruce Leyland-Jones

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I've spoken about this before, but decided to use a picture, to illustrate.
My floating plant of choice is Salvinia auriculata, which replicates very effectively.
My bubblers keep it pushed away from the edges of the tank, but it crowds the area beneath the feeding hatch in my lid. This prevents me from simply dropping food into the tank.

So I took a length of air hose, made a loop using a spare valve and stuck it to the side of the tank, using a spare sucker.
I can now drop food directly into the water once more.

DSCN4155.JPG

I know this will sound harsh. But throw it out just keep a few plants, they don't need to be a mass. If you you don't want to throw them out, then get a tank of Silver Dollars and they will eat them for you.
022.JPG

The actual problem was keeping one particular area of the water surface free from plants and, with the currents, any hand-made gap would soon fill up with plants.
With a barrier, no problem. ;)

I have the same setup, black airhose to a T and suctioned to the side. Difference is my floaters are IN the circle. HOB filter was bashing them about so I did this off to the side of the flow. Now, if I could get my nerites to stop hanging from the hose, pulling it down, and releasing the floaters that would be great.

I have the same setup, black airhose to a T and suctioned to the side. Difference is my floaters are IN the circle. HOB filter was bashing them about so I did this off to the side of the flow. Now, if I could get my nerites to stop hanging from the hose, pulling it down, and releasing the floaters that would be great.
"The best laid plans, of mice and men...etc."

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back