Male or Female Dwarf Gourami?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

njnauticalnut

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I put this topic in the betta and gourami section as I couldn't figure out how to move it, thimk I need a mod to do that.

I have 3 dwarf gouramis, one is powder blue, the other is flame orange, and the third is a tint of blue gray with thin orange stripes. Is there a way to tell the female from the male? If you have any links to pictures that would great.

One of the reasons I ask is that my one gourami, the third one I mentioned above was breathing a bit harder since I got him/her and tonight it seems bloated in the stomach area. I am not sure if it has an illness or if it is a pregnant female. I just stocked my tank this weekend so I am not that familiar with these fish yet (also have never had gouramis) and have been doing a lot of observing to learn there looks and behaviors.

Thanks!

I hope this helps...

Female Dwarf Gourami: You tell the difference from the males by their colours. The females are much more duller and come mostly in light grey. My female has the tiniest tints of blue streaks but that it, other wise she is just grey.

Male Dwraf Gourami: They are much brighter than the females and come in many different colours. Like with mine redish orange stripes with neon blue around them.

With that dwarf gourmai you have that was heavily breathing my female was like that when I got her, she was much more stressed out than my male. Not too sure on the bloated stomache...

Alother possible way to tell females from males is compairing the dorsal fin. The males' usually come to a sort of point and the females' are shorter and more round (looking at the end of the fin)

Most reactions

Back