Male molly fish won't stop pestering his in-labor couple

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

joker39quacky

Reaction score
My male molly keeps nipping and chasing around the female molly that is in-labor. What should I do? She looks very stressed.

He might try to eat the fry too. It may be beneficial to move him to another tank, not her as it would cause her more stress.

He might try to eat the fry too. It may be beneficial to move him to another tank, not her as it would cause her more stress.
I don't have any other tanks and the only thing I could possibly do is move the male to a tupperware container

Do you have any buckets with an extra heater? Leave him in it until she is done, then replace him. Do you have other females? If there is only one he will constantly go after her, which can cause her to abort or even die from stress.

I don't have any other tanks and the only thing I could possibly do is move the male to a tupperware container

If it is a size that is suitable then go for it until the process is over. Add an airstone if you have an extra one

My male molly keeps nipping and chasing around the female molly that is in-labor. What should I do? She looks very stressed.
Typically mollies do better in a larger female to male ratio. The males can get territorial and fight over the female (not like Bettas though). I had a similar issue and the best solution is to move the fish that is being aggressive. I would either relocate the fish or set up a new aquarium to put him in. If the Molly is not moved he will continue to pester the female and cause her more stress.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back