male mollie driving my two females crazy

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Angel Lady

Pet of the Month Leader
Reaction score
I can put him in a seperate tank and he will jump out i cant even change the water without him jumping out of the bowl if he is without the females 2 minutes he starts going crazy I am thinking about flushing him he is driving me crazy worrying about him bothering my females I already have 24 babies and they way he is going I will have more with the other female anyday looks like are they any way to slow him down. :crazy: :crazy:

Whatever you do don't flush a fish, it is the cruelest death a fish can suffer, its a slow lingering death.

Mollies can keep the sperm from a mating for about 3 goes, so chances are they'll be pregnant for months after you remove him. If you are serious about not wanting any more babies then you may wish to not remove the young from the parents tank, they will be eaten by the parents although if heavily planted a few may survive. Let us know how you get on :)

William said:
Whatever you do don't flush a fish, it is the cruelest death a fish can suffer, its a slow lingering death.

Mollies can keep the sperm from a mating for about 3 goes, so chances are they'll be pregnant for months after you remove him. If you are serious about not wanting any more babies then you may wish to not remove the young from the parents tank, they will be eaten by the parents although if heavily planted a few may survive. Let us know how you get on :)
I was kidding I was mad at him this morning but are they anyway to slow him down some I wouldnt do that at all I spend to much time trying to save them to flush them. are they such a thing as cutting that fin off and make him not want the girls.You know like they do at the vets office I can take him to the vet and have it done. She couldnt even have them babies for him she started haveing them before I knew it I thought I had another week. And I swear he was trying to mate her and her having them babies that is the reason I got so mad. I say things before I think.

Keeper, don't worry we all say things sometimes hence my quote. Anyway, no there is no way to slow him down short of killing him. Is he a sailfin I wonder? I have 3 in my tank that are driving the ladies crazy. Having males is not the problem honestly as they cant have babies. B) There are surely some males in the fry that will grow to help create more so you are stuck. My best suggestion, from my point of view, is to get another tank and sell them or give them to your lfs and watch the cycle of life... :wub: .

MrBink said:
Keeper, don't worry we all say things sometimes hence my quote. Anyway, no there is no way to slow him down short of killing him. Is he a sailfin I wonder? I have 3 in my tank that are driving the ladies crazy. Having males is not the problem honestly as they cant have babies. B) There are surely some males in the fry that will grow to help create more so you are stuck. My best suggestion, from my point of view, is to get another tank and sell them or give them to your lfs and watch the cycle of life... :wub: .
he is a silver salfin molly and he is beautiful but he is just so demanding when it comes to the silver mollies i guess i will just have to bare with him but i wont make a mistake and get another one and as for the babies they wont be a problem i will just sell them to the pet store or trade them for food one mabey they will save me some money.

You confused me don't seperate the babies form the parents ? they will eat em i have lot's of black mollie babies now and i have em in the same tank but in breeding trapt thing inside the tank

Tropicalfishfn said:
You confused me don't seperate the babies form the parents ? they will eat em i have lot's of black mollie babies now and i have em in the same tank but in breeding trapt thing inside the tank
she started having her babies while I was changing the water and doing a gravel vac. I wasnt paying them much attention I looked down and she was having her babies and he had some of them ate before I got him out of there. (I WASNT KEEPING THE BABIES WITH NEITHER ONE OF THEM.) iM NOT THAT CRAZY YET.

fish keeper sharks and mollies said:
Tropicalfishfn said:
she started having her babies while I was changing the water and doing a gravel vac. I wasnt paying them much attention I looked down and she was having her babies and he had some of them ate before I got him out of there. (I WASNT KEEPING THE BABIES WITH NEITHER ONE OF THEM.) iM NOT THAT CRAZY YET.
THAT MAN OF MINE IS WORSE OVER THEM FISH THAN I AM HE GOT ON ME GOOD FOR THAT TO BUT HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW SHE WAS GOING TO GIVE BIRTH WHILE I WAS CHANGING THE WATER.I SHOULD HAVE EXPLAINED MY SELF A LITTLE BETTER I AM SORRY FOR NOT TELLING WHAT HAPPENED. AND I WASNT BEING RUDE OR NOTHING BUT MY OLD MAN GOT ON TO ME FOR THE SAME THING

Most reactions

Back