Malaysian sword

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stryker

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Will malaysian sword live in slightly brackish water? I can go look up the specific gravity if needed but for now all I can say is its only a little brackish.

Difficult question to answer. You see, the common name "Malaysian Sword" is commonly applied to a number of different plants, most of which are not true aquatics anyway.

Several species of Spathiphyllum are sold as "Malaysian Sword". This is very much a terrestrial plant and will rot away in a couple of months under water.

Aglaonema simplex is another bog plant which does much better under water than the above. It grows very slowly from a rhizome and looks vastly more like an Anubias species then a true sword. If you can get it, it is really very tough, and although I can't say for certain, it would not suprise me if it took a little salt.

Another possibility is ordinary Java Fern, which is also sold as "Malaysian Sword". This is an almost bullet proof plant which will definitely take some salt.

No easy yes/no answer I'm afraid. If you have some, try it. If you have a picture, post it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back