Malawi Cichlid Tank Advice

mondo4u

Reaction score
Hi can any one help ive got malawi cichlid tank ocean rocks expensive would cotswold rocks be ok to use . Saw some lovely one at local garden center much much cheaper then lfs prices for ocean rock . Getting new 6ft tank deliverd next week want to have big rockery aqua scapeing thing itd cost fortune in ocean rock .its limestone so good for ph i am told ? Thanks lee

i only hve a 4ft tank but love my ocean rock and coral sand. Cost me £36.00 for 25kg of ocean rock and £32 for 25kg of coral sand.Both were well priced i thought, esp as my local LFS were chargeing £3.50 a kilo.

teesside kio.....they deliever too all over...they have lots of cichlids also

Cotswold is a great choice; much more natural than ocean rock, and it looks great with algae growing on it. Just make sure you wash it well before putting it in the tank.

Ocean rock can be a nightmare if you have juvies in the tank. With the little holes as your fish can get stuck in them. The stone will look great. As dogsout said give it a good clean. Don't buy you rocks from a lfs as they will have your eyes out. Garden centres are far cheaper. What's you current ph?

Thanks for advice my ph is 7.2 7.4 on average

You want to aiming for a ph of 7.5 so only a slight buffering will be required. You could try crushed coral sand. Other alternatives to the limestone you could use are slate or river cobbles. Just make sure everything gets a good clean. There's lots of images on google of Malawi aquascaping for some insperation. I use slate in my tank.

lol@fry getting stuck in ocean rock.
i have around 200 fry in a rio 240 none get stuck in the rock. i use crushed coral sand n ocean rock in my rio400 and rio240. it looks the best imo n is worth spending out although my ocean rock was 50 quid for 40kg n the crushed coral sand was 20 quid for 25 kg n i needed three bags for the two tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back