Making My 800 Gal.... Bigger

Jon,

Tank looks awesome mate! Top drawer!

As for the signage, I have no idea about US zoning law,, although I wouldn't have seen a problem with a sign like that as it refers to something you like and not a place of business.

Could be construed as advertising for the website though.

What are the rules about putting up a sign in your front yard for supporting say the local football team etc...??? Would they come under the same rules? Or the US flag?

From what they said at the begining of all this it's a $10 permit for a sign. But it would have to be approved by the city LOL

MonsterFishGuy, I noticed you posted my email letter on loads of forums already, lol, lots of takers in backing you and sending it on too which is good, any idea how many have been sent? They have not replied to mine yet...doubt they will.

I hope not, you can disclaim all knowledge if that is the case, appeal etc. 'kin jobsworths grr make me so mad, keep us in touch with how you get on. Hows the big tank going?

Ok, what do you say we get this thread back on track with some VIDEOS!!! People have asked about my other tanks and what fish I keep. So I took the camera down stairs to do a little tour of the basementā€¦

Vid #1 is of some small tanks in the back behind the 240
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKEJuILRLFw

Vid #2 is more small tanks behind the 185
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix8zhy2jAew

Vid #3 is the 185
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDvAIVHfNJY

Vid #4 is the 240 (wifes frontosa tank with no frontosa in it at the moment LOL)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAlHcLurM_w

Vid #5 is the 1500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShOpQTHhkxQ

Vid #6 is of the mechanicals of the 1500 (filter and heating system)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAV2f8Rp9A0

Iā€™m working on some statistics of the 1500 and Iā€™ll post those later today ;-)

Woooooooooow.....
That 1500gal tank is amazing!

All of your tanks are so great though. Have you ever thought about opening up your own shop? People could learn so much from you. Plus it would be nice knowing that someone like yourself is out there giving out the right information!

Anywho..... LOVE BERT!

Oh and how on earth do you keep them looking so clean? Heck, we have teeny tiny tanks compared to yours and I can't keep the algae under control in any of them.

I'd love to hear about your maintnenance routine. Must take forever. I'm assuming that the planner on the wall is to keep track.

Maint. is really not that hard, the 1500 gets a 1/3 water change every saturday. The rest get 1/3 changes every sunday unless they're being treated and the treatment calls for something different. It takes about two hours every sunday to do water changes on all the small tanks. The 185 and 240 have drains so they empty 1/3 of the water rather quickly. For those two it's a matter of turning a valve and sitting and watching TV or straightening up something else while 1/3 drains out. They both have 1/3 drains so there's no chance of emptying too much if I get caught up in something else... Then it's just filling. It also helps that I've got floor drains in the fish room so if spills happen it's no big deal, that and I can siphon water right down the drains.

Here's a typical w/c day on sunday. I'll start with the tanks behind the 240. They get 1/3 siphoned then refilled. Then I'll siphon the other 10 tanks that are behind the 185. This gives the water heater time to catch up. Those get filled then the sump tank on the 240 gets unplugged for about 15 minutes so it's at idle before the 1/3 valve gets turned on the tank. It drains then gets filled. Then I unplug the sump on the 185 for 15 minutes or so untill it to rests at idle. Then it's 1/3 drain gets turned, then the tank gets refilled. In the 2 hrs estimated I don't count the 240 and 185 because I'm doing other things like cut the grass or vacuum the steps and basement or something like that... That's it in a nut shell :)

Ok, for you numbers people hereā€™s some fun stats:

This represents total water volume involved in running the tank:

Sump = 163.09 25 Ā½ā€ X 23ā€ X 63 Ā½ā€
Right = 340.85 28ā€ X 37 Ā¼ā€ X 76 Ā¼ā€
Left = 458.18 28ā€ X 42ā€ X 90ā€
Deep = 587.53 52ā€ X 29ā€ X 90ā€
Total 1549.65

Videos shot of build: 52
Videos on you tube: 35
Total video views on you tube: 27,159
Total comments on you tube: 201
Threads on internet forums about this tank: 24
Total views on all threads combined: 80,116
Total posts of all threads combined: 2,865
Money spent on rebuild: $1,581.87
Tubes of liquid nails: 21
Total tubes of silicone: 23
Ā¾ā€ plywood: 3
5/8ā€ plywood: 8
5/16ā€ hardie panel: 11
Kits of pond armor used: 11
Weight of the glass: 7 tons
Total estimated man hours: 56
Beers drank during build: 6
Fish adopted out to new owners during build: 13
How many people asked what I was going to do about the gravel falling over the edge into the deep end: 11
How many times I crawled under the tank during the build: Too manyā€¦
Tears Shed when I couldnā€™t figure out the leak(s): Not a one ;-)

Total donations during construction: $60 Thank you to those three people, your support is much appreciated!

Date I emptied the 800: 11-14-08
Date the fish return to the 1500: 2-21-09

Fish were in the pool 98 days.

Hereā€™s a break down of the sites Iā€™ve started threads on about this tank:

Cichlid-Forum: 309 posts, viewed 21,913 times

MFK: 368 posts, viewed 14,366 times

Loaches on Line: 124 posts, viewed 5,204 times

Aquariacentral: 200 posts, viewed 4,363 times

Tropical Fish Forever: 207 posts, viewed 3,979 times

BC Aquaria: 98 posts, viewed 3,130 times

Arofanatics: 57 posts, viewed 2,962 times

Ultimate Bettas: 130 posts, viewed 2,627 times

Pet Fish.net: 108 posts, viewed 2,599 times

Plecofanatics.com: 89 posts, viewed 2,425 times

East Coast Aquarium Society: 106 posts viewed 1,944 times

Oscarfish.com: 118 posts, viewed 1,935 times

Oscarfishlover.com: 118 posts, viewed 1,911 times

Cichlid Madness: 129 posts, viewed 1,756 times

Flowerhorncraze: 115 posts, viewed 1,379 times

Planet Catfish: 47 posts, viewed 1,274 times

Discus Forums: 53 posts, viewed 1,244 times

The Water Snake.com: 148 posts, viewed 1,161 times

Water Wolves: 73 posts, viewed 1,002 times

Aquarium forum: 62 posts, viewed 983 times

Toms Place: 105 posts viewed 726 times

Finvillage: 29 posts, viewed 532 times

Cichlids.com: 39: posts, viewed 500 times

Aquatic Worlds: 33 posts, viewed 201 times

One more interesting stat:

The original build of the 800 boasted 2,282 posts and 443,026 views

Part two of that thread due to a glitch in the system has 394 posts and 36,402 views combined its 479,428 views and 2,676 posts.

thats a lot of forums and post and replys to many i thiught i was nets i used 6 forums but only on 2 od them all the time

keep up the good work m8

i watch all your you tube video's and left couple replys on them

really nice to see the 800 up and running brat is one ever big fish ill be running that tank soon lol :good: :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back