Maintaining Correct Parameters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

1234-fishy-freind

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys, in need of a bit of advice.
My parameters arent bad, but some things do need tweeking slightly.
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0-5
pH - 8.0-8.2
Phosphate - 0-0.1
Calcium - 500
Mg - 1100
Sg - 1.024
KH - 5
The ones which need tweeking are of course my KH which is low and my Mg. pH could also due to be maintained at 8.2-8.3.
The salt brand I use when mixed to 1.026 gives params of:
Ph 8.3
Ca 560
Mg 1440
KH 11.

Yet still in my tank I am getting those other params.
What would you guys recommend I dose to raise KH, buffer ph slightly and raise Mg?
thanks
Josh

What does the water which goes into the tank read at?

When I do a water change etc you mean?
At sg of 1.026 they're:
Ph 8.3
Ca 560
Mg 1440
KH 11.

Sorry - I thought you might be giving the salt specs.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe you've been slacking on the water changes? Does increasing them make any difference? Because, of course, without changing most of the water, the tank readings won't go to those of the water going in. So I would suggest improved maintenance.. but someone else should be able to advise on additional dosing better than me.

Hi ben
Its red sea coral pro salt.
There's a toadstool coral, finger leather, 1 fury mushroom colony, clove poly colony, pussy coral and a lone green stripe mushroom.
Fish wise:
-lyrtail anthais
-8 blue damsels
-cinamon clown
-lipstick tang
-leopard wrasse

How old is the setup? Sometimes it's hard to get a decent PH reading as the system stabilises although neither of those two readings you have is anything to be worried about too much especially if it is a system less than 6 months old.

Its over three years old now.
Ive corrected the kh with seachem reef builder so its no longer an issue.
Just going to have to dose it occaisonly to keep it in check. It will also stablalise ph at 8.3 after continuous use.
Just steadily raising Mg to about 1300 now which wont take too long as im using seachem Magnesium.
So all should be good in a week or so!

josh

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back