Magnetic fields and fish tanks...

mlee0332

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Everyone knows that monitors and speakers and televisions produce magnetic fields, but does anyone know if it will effect my fish? I wanted to place my 5gal hex on my computer desk, where it will be near a monitor AND magnetically sheilded speakers. Will these affect her?

And also, will there be a way for me to acclimatize her to the sounds of the speakers that close? If so how to do it? If there isn't I can easily move them...

It should be fine. I have very large speakers near my tank in my bedroom. I think you have to worry about the noise more then anything.

I figured the noise will be a problem... She's already used to really loud music, but from a distance... Can I get her used to the noise?

Edit: Haha, I thought abput that too, but it's not near the cpu, nor is it close enough to spill water on the monitor/speakers, just in the range of the noise and magnets...

Edit: now you've got me doubting wanting to do it... lol... maybe I won't, I'm accident prone...

yeah MLee LOL as long fatguppy secure the tank stable and prevent knockin over and i hope the tank is plastic not glass but i dunno how big his speaker so to me as sat by the PC and have an fish tank behind me as u can see my pics in coldwater thread my tank and i have 400 watts sub woofer speaker next to me and well away from the tank and i have had it full blast few time over the new year playin music as it better rather hittin pot and pan :rofl: so to be honest fat guppy buy an Headphone so can listen to loud music or the fish will be DIZZY LOL but GL thought

Well I put her next to my desk, not on it. Haha, you got me thinking alot. My luck is that I could knock it over on the other side of the room and the water fly over to the comp and set the house on fire and burn it down! LOL. I changed my mind fast after I thought of all the possible scenarios...

But for future ref, its safe then? Other than the electricity part?

-Off to play the sims 2-

the magnetism shouldnt cause any problems unless you have highly electric fish such as true sharks, skates, rays (both fresh and saltwater, especially electric rays), electric catfish, baby whales, elephantfish, electric eels, knife fish or any other highly electric fish I couldnt think of. magnetic fields might have some minor long term effects but nothing compaired to the noise off those speakers, stop listening to loud music, do you want to go def? lol

I have two 5 gallons, one 2.5 gallon, three 1 gallons, and two 1 gallon betta fry containers on my desk right now... I've noticed no ill effects on any of the fish (bettas and dwarf puffers). Three of those tanks are basically right above my CPU, but the overhang on the desk causes any spilled water to fall on the carpet away from any electrical outlets :whistle:

Forgot to add, my desk is also made of glass. Sounds real safe, doesn't it? :p

Yes I do want to go def so I'll have an excuse to not hear my mom when she says "clean the kitchen" hahaha lol. Well, I've toned it down some now that she's closer to the desk, but not ON the desk. I like to see her during the day and I had her behind me :/ didn't like that much...

@Synirr- I;m waiting to read about you in the paper "Local dare devel barely escapes after being electrocuted, and burned in house fire" Lol! Good luck to you!

None of my fish are electric.

The reason I ask is b/c when I'm in the lfs buying them, they make you hold them over the metal detectors, and go thru manual doors, or they void the warranty (that is if they see you do it :shifty: , but on accident of course)

as far as the noise goes
IMHO, as long as there is little or no bass (not the bass fish lol) then it shouldn't be a problem.

as for the magnetic field, I like many aquarists keep my mag cleaner inside the tank, and I have never seen any ill effects form doing so.

dur, forgot about the magnet cleaners... I just think on a one way track some times...

And I have a subwoofer :*) Guess we'll have to move it... (the tank or the woofer one...)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back