Mad Cory

nickelplates

New Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
UK - Midlands
I have a group of five peppered corys in my community tank, the smallest shows behavior which is most unlike any other cory I have seen and I wondered if anyone else has seen anything similar. He seems perfectly healthy, swims around and feeds with the others and everything so I don't think there can be much wrong with him.

Unlike all the other Corys he seems perfectly happy to be close to or even on the surface for extended periods and he spends a lot of his time just completely relaxed and motionless drifitng with the current, several times before I sussed him out I was reaching for the net to remove the dead fish and of course when I tried to catch him he would swim off. He actually drifts with the current till he bumps into something, then he will swim 'upstream' and start again. Sometimes he even does this right on the surface, other times at midwater or close to the bottom.

So has anyone else seen this type of behavior and is he mad, ill or just a fish with character?
 
Corys shouldn't be at the top of the tank like that, there something wrong with him.
Does he look bloated.
What does his barbels look like.
Any sores on the body of the cory, or red patches.
 
Corys shouldn't be at the top of the tank like that, there something wrong with him.
Does he look bloated.
What does his barbels look like.
Any sores on the body of the cory, or red patches.

In every other respect he is absolutely fine, water is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10ppm nitrate pH 7.8 He has been exactly the same since he arrived 6 weeks ago. All the other fish in the tank are fine, He eats and rummages around with the other corys when he is not doing his odd thing. He has a full set of healty barbels as do all the other's It's just he doesn't seem to know how a Cory should behave.
 
Mine swim along the glass but don't spend time at the surface.
I would post in the cory part of the forum, as he dosn't seem right to me.
 
If your cory is just playing in the filter flow he is doing something that I always see cories do. Most cories that I have had love to play with the water currents, I worry about the ones that don't. If he is just drifting around on the surface that is another thing altogether. Cories are usually a bundle of energy when they are kept in groups and a cory sitting still anywhere but on the bottom wuld cause me some concern.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top