Macroalgae

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fish_keeper2

I am Nemo!!
Reaction score
im using a HOB filter made for 10gal for my 10gal nano to add to the flow. i wont be using any filter media so i was wondering if i could turn my HOB into a mini sump(or refugum) of sorts with a bit of macroalgea put in to.

also can any of you explain exactly what a sump and refuguim are and what they do, and whats the difference between the two?

Hi..that is a very common way to make a refugium. A sump is a box that contains addtional water and is separate from your main tank. It fills commonly by overflow and requires a pump to return flow to the tank. A sump increases the total volume of water for your system and is a place to add all your equipment to avoid cluttering up your main tank.

A refugium is a 'protected' area where you can keep species of animals and plants. It can keep macroalgae separate and from becoming invasive and protect readily predated food sources such as copepods.

Many people convert their HOB into a filter by taking the basket (referring to an AquaClear) and creating a baffle out of it to interrupt the direct water flow. Then you can add mineral mud or LR rubble to the bottom and then add macroalgae. There are many clip on lights that you can use that have PC lighting and will do great for your macro.

SH

Most reactions

Back