FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What do you use...a mac or a pc

• MAC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I use PC's, I don't see the point of Macs.

A TV show did a comparison recently and the Mac whooped ass in setting it up, took 10 mins from opening the box, to using it, the PC was about an hour IIRC.

But then they tested them side by side using graphical editors, music editors and video editors, all of which are meant to be MAC strong points, the PC (with equivalent spec processor) outperformed the Mac in all 3. The software used was from the same manufacturer that does PC and Mac versions (sorry I dont recal which, though I think Photoshop MAY have been the picture editor)

The equivalent spec PC was also considerable cheaper and more customisable and upgradeable than the Mac AND ave infinately more software for it.

So the Mac basically saves 50 mins on setup time and is then substandard in every other area from then on.

I must admit though I have been looking at various flavours of Linux recently, but they aren't better either, they take longer to get setup right, less compatible software available and contrary to popular belief they have all crashed regularly on me.

There you go, a debate started for you.

Arfie

What's a Mac ? :S

Kidding of course ;)

But seriously: pc all the way !

Mac for home and PC for work. For me, the PC is better for the sheer number of applications that support it and the Visual .NET and other software tools that I use for programming. But I perfer the Mac for everyday stuff (browsing the internet, writing documents, photo editing). Also, I do love using iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie; DVDs of my wedding was done using those programs and it came out amazing.

I've worked with both, but I prefer PC. I remember the old Apple MacIntosh, with the screen that was like 4 inches wide. I think people went blind writing papers on those suckers.

I currently have two Sony Vaios. The one in Miami is nearly 10 years old and still runs, and this one is nearly 3 years old and runs very, very well.

ubuntu linux(debian based) with either kde or gnome desktop

Sorry. I can not just stand apple computers! Yes, I don't have an iPod, I have an iRiver (which are way better in my opinion). So PC all the way!

To gauge the extent of the PC lead in the market, have a look at this snapshot of the stats for my Website so far this month:

stats.gif

As you can see, out of the 69037 hits so far this month, PC beats MAC by 87% to 5%

Blimey, I've had eight hits this month from Amigas!

To gauge the extent of the PC lead in the market, have a look at this snapshot of the stats for my Website so far this month:

As you can see, out of the 69037 hits so far this month, PC beats MAC by 87% to 5%

Blimey, I've had eight hits this month from Amigas!

That's why macs are considered to have such good virus protection. Because it's so impractical for someone to create a virus for 5% of the population. Also PC's vast compatability also allows them to be more succeptible.
Basically, macs are far more user friendly and as far as media editing is concerned...Final cut pro for PC??? I think not! scoff.

*sorry, didn't mean to quote the whole chart!

Wheres the Unix option? :p Or the Both option? ;) I use Linux (on PC) and Windows XP, but I do have a spare machine at home with Win98 on it for my old games :D I use lots of flavours of Linux, but typically its MandrakeLinux 10, RedHat 9, Ubuntu (a truly excellent OS, go get it and try it!), Kubuntu (thats Ubuntu dedicated to KDE, a happier friendlier interface than the typical alternative of Gnome) and plain old Debian because you can compile code by default from the shell *sighs*.

Its also worth mentioning that if it was a question of superiority, youd have to select your qualification criteria very carefully. The massive market share in PCs could suggest that PCs are far superior, but this is more likely to be because PCs have always been cheaper than Macs and seen as a less professional option and have also been much more widely available. I think that, in all fairness, the systems even out. They both have advantages on paper over the other. If you want to produce professional graphics then use a Mac. If you want to write programs or play games then use a PC. If you want to free yourself from a captialist world then use all your old PC parts and install Linux on an Cyrix 300 with 64mb of SD RAM like I have :D

Interesting: with the move to an x86 architechture for Macs, Gentoo Linux has already been booted with generic video drivers and a customized kernel on a Mac! This could mean many things... the future is going to be one of Macs coming into the mainstream market because more and more hardware will become compatible for MacOS. I just hope that Apple makes the right choice and sells MacOS for PCs... if they dont, someone else will port it and Mac might go the way of the Amiga - killed by software piracy.

*edited to make it much, much shorter*

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back