Lump On Ratty?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

cookiemistress

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
About 3-4 weeks ago i noticed a small lump just behind my ratty's (Harvey) front leg, its hard to the touch, he's not loosing weight, in pain or off his food etc he's a normal happy rat. Should i be worrying or just keep an eye on it?

On another note Harvey now mas a new "brother" a syrian hamster called toffee, pics to come soon hopefully :D

Domestic rats are very prone to developing tumors (more with females, but males as well). I would take him to the vet if possible, otherwise just keep an eye on it, making sure it doesn't open up into a sore and that it doesn't make him uncomfortable. Good luck with him!

of the 7 rats i've had 5 developed tumours these were all removed at around £40 a go and thats going back a few years the 2 with tumours on their legs/chest grew back within weeks and had to be put to sleep the others healed up fine and lived for years after. I had a rescue rat with mammary tumours and she had 26 staples from her chin to her tail and healed up in no time, these never grew back. Rats are fantastic with anaesthetic and very resiliant unlike guineapigs who seem to die at a whiff of anaesthetic before they were even shaved for the op. I'd keep an eye on it and if it starts to bother your rat or grows at a fast rate see a vet its just up to you how much you are willing to pay in vet bills.

I took on a rescue (stray) rabbit with leg abcess which cost £74 for the first op then her leg went manky and she stopped using it the vet looked at me gobsmacked when i said amputate it as most people won't pay out for small pets, the annoying thing it she just died on 23rd december and i only had her 6 months, for what she cost in vet bills i could be on a new lap top instead of this ancient only computer.But at least she had 4 months living on 3 legs and hopping round the garden with the other bunnies.

Thanx for your help/advice, id thought about leaving it but keeping an eye on it, which i will do.

Agreed. Keep a eye on it, because tumors are fairly common in rats.

Lump has gotten bigger and he's not himself, took him to vets earlier and they said its up to me wether i want to surgically get rid of it or leave it. They did say that rats tend to pull their stitches out and aren't good with anaesthetic BUT the lumps only small so it'd be a tiny hole and he wouldn't be under for too long.
I cant decide what to do :X

He used to be very lively and active but tends to just have a wander then fall asleep on some clothes and sleeps alot more than he used to :blink:

as i said in my earlier post rats in general are great with anaesthetic just depends on the type of tumour if it grows back and sometimes they grow back within weeks other times they are removed and gone for good. If he's not himself it could well be malignant and he could have secondaries elsewhere inside his body if you think hes fit enough to survive an op then go for it.

I just got 2 baby rats today from rescue after i said no more, they are super cute tho will have to get pics

I've had around 10-12 mice over the years and around half of them developed tumours, mainly on their legs. I found that it didnt seem the hurt them, took them to the pet shop as one of the women who worked there used to be a vet who said that aslong as it doesnt hurt, just keep an eye on them. I generally found that they still lived around 2-3 years which is average for mice, and still acted normal, one lived for around 3-4 years who had these tumours.

Ive got him in a 6 foot high cage and he still climbs up and down it :rolleyes:
If it does get bigger soon then while its still fairly small ill try taking it off and if it comes back then ill deal with that later.
The vet did say that she's pretty sure its benign cos she could "move it" meaning its not attached to anything :blink: eh anyway he decided to have a wander last night and tried digging my baby xmas tree out of its pot till he got bored with that, he then tried to play some new cd's and realised he didnt know how o he finished my cereal from dinner then found he was sleepy so climbed back in his cage to go to bed :lol: he was all "who me?" this morning when i found his mess lol

cookie, did the vet try to see if there was any fluid (pus) in it, or if it was just a mass of cells? I ask because a fast growing lump that is encapsulated (ie: "not attached to anything", and therefore not likely to be an invasive or malignant tumor) could well be an abscess, and that should probably be lanced and would require antibiotics. It would be super easy for the vet to check if it is one, and I would be very surprised if they didn't because that was the first thing my vet did when I brought Fairfax in to check out a lump on his groin.

As for rats and anesthesia, they are very small and there can absolutely be complications, but an experienced vet should be able to get a healthy rat through surgery safe and sound.

Most reactions

Back