Lowest light plants?

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
Hello. My sisters each have a betta and want some plants. Problem is they donā€™t have lights. Are there any low light plants that will do alright in this kind of setup? I can give them root tabs and they have sand substrate.

Hello. My sisters each have a betta and want some plants. Problem is they donā€™t have lights. Are there any low light plants that will do alright in this kind of setup? I can give them root tabs and they have sand substrate.
ok ok so i had a tank that had no lighting before (back when i had no idea what i was doing)

houseplant cuttings (monstera, pothos, some other ones, maybe some succulent stem cuttings) they are naturally used to indoor light since they grow under a bunch of trees or something idk
anubias(any type)you can buy all sorts of it to make it look like the tank has variety, marimos,
im sure duckweed could survive with no light
other floaters idk...
(survived in a darn compost pile for 2 weeks)
heard stuff about java ferns (mine all died because of water quatlity or something

Java fern ive heard is good. I keep amazona compacta (mini amazon swords, no clue where i got it) and some anubius nana (make sure to pull it up so some of the roots are out) in my dark betta tank, i also have some water wisteria i got more recently and only a couple of the leaves are looking decent. I know they dont sell marimo moss balls anymore but moss is always great. I will add some pics, first pic is amazona compacta and second is anubius, third is a weird floaty moss ball they had at petco and was offered in place of a marimo moss ball.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 32
ok ok so i had a tank that had no lighting before (back when i had no idea what i was doing)

houseplant cuttings (monstera, pothos, some other ones, maybe some succulent stem cuttings) they are naturally used to indoor light since they grow under a bunch of trees or something idk
anubias(any type)you can buy all sorts of it to make it look like the tank has variety, marimos,
im sure duckweed could survive with no light
other floaters idk...
(survived in a darn compost pile for 2 weeks)
heard stuff about java ferns (mine all died because of water quatlity or something
Java fern ive heard is good. I keep amazona compacta (mini amazon swords, no clue where i got it) and some anubius nana (make sure to pull it up so some of the roots are out) in my dark betta tank, i also have some water wisteria i got more recently and only a couple of the leaves are looking decent. I know they dont sell marimo moss balls anymore but moss is always great. I will add some pics, first pic is amazona compacta and second is anubius, third is a weird floaty moss ball they had at petco and was offered in place of a marimo moss ball.
Thank you! They like the moss balls and anubias, as well as the duckweed! I will be helping them order those tonight most likely. I believe Discus.com sells moss balls still!

Thank you! They like the moss balls and anubias, as well as the duckweed! I will be helping them order those tonight most likely. I believe Discus.com sells moss balls still!
I wouldnā€™t keep duckweed, i got mine kinda experimentally and it isnā€™t growing all too great šŸ˜…

Anubias and crypts are slow growers and prefer low light. You can always grow some plants hydroponic-style too

i dont know about everyone else, but i had duckweed and my betta ate it all, i saw him.
it was warned about the future by the Monke gods, they told him to eliminate the threat before it took over your tank

also a more logical reason= bettas r always hungry for any food

Here's a list of plants that actually do well in low light conditions;

Anubias species, such as A.barteri, Dwarf nubias.
Ceratophyllum demersum, Hornwort.
Cryptocoryne species, such as C. affinis and C.lutea.
Egeria densa, Elodea.
Hygrophila corymbosa.
Microsorium pteropus, Java fern.

Floating plants are also a great idea.

Most reactions

trending

Back