Low tech planted tank lighting = Radion XR15 Pro Gen 4?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

serbusfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I currently run a 75 gallon reef tank but i'm wanting to change it over to be a low tech planted tank. Would I be able to use my existing Ecotech Radion lights for this setup? In my Ecotech settings I can set the lights to output at 6500k so I was thinking I could potentially do it, but i'd love some feedback as i'll need to find a new lighting solution otherwise?

I don't know anything about the light unit but generally the Kelvin rating is preset in globes and can't be changed. Are you using LED lights or fluorescent or metal halides?

LED lights might be adjustable by reducing the amount of blue LEDs and having more red.

I don't know anything about the light unit but generally the Kelvin rating is preset in globes and can't be changed. Are you using LED lights or fluorescent or metal halides?

LED lights might be adjustable by reducing the amount of blue LEDs and having more red.

They are LED lights, features red, green, blue, deep blue, white, warm white, violet, and UV LED's.
I have attached a pic of my setting screen, if I move the slider from the blue side to the left I can set it to output at 6500k.

Attachments

• radion.png
    radion.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 351
That's cool being able to change the Kelvin rating by running different LEDs.

6500K should be fine for plants, just drop the UV and keep the blue and you should be good to go.

That's good to hear, I spoke to a couple of people at my LFS, one from the Marine room and one from the Tropical section and both said i'd be fine with this setup.

Out of interest why would I need to drop the UV? Is UV not beneficial to plants?

Plants naturally get UV light outside but it is not necessary for their growth in an aquarium. Plants use primarily blue and red light and not a lot of UV.

The UV light is used in coral tanks to make them luminesce more but most fresh water aquarium fishes occur in semi shaded areas and don't spend all day out in the sun. If you have lots of UV light on a tank containing fishes that are not normally exposed to high levels of UV light, the fish can develop skin cancer. Albino fishes and bottom dwelling fishes are more prone to this, whereas dark coloured surface dwelling fishes are less prone to it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back