Low Tech Planted Tank + High Light LED

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cupofjoel

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Trying to set up a nano tank (5 gallons) with an ONF nano led, which has pretty high par readings. I don't want to do a lot of trimming and replanting so I'm going with low tech plants (dwarf hair grass, java fern trident, anubias, crypts, etc.). My question is I'm afraid of the high lighting to cause a lot of algae issues. Is there anything I can do to mitigate against algae and using high-intensity lighting?

Note: I do not want to reduce the lighting because I like a brightly lit tank

Should I do more water changes, dose less on my all in one fert, etc?

Thoughts?

In circumstances like those described, the only way to avoid problem algae is to reduce the lighting. This is two-stage, the intensity is one and the duration another. However, if the intensity is still too high for the nutrient/plant side, it will cause problem algae no matter. Duration only works to avoid algae if the light intensity/plants/nutrients are in relative sync.

Brightly lit tanks may be to your liking, but most fish find this stressful. And small species such as those suited to this small a tank will have real problems with bright overhead light.

thanks @Byron I think I can reduce the lighting to 75%, which is bright enough and reduce the amount of hours it's on. I also plan on getting floating plants to block out the light a bit. Viking recommended nerite snails as well.

Why would you not want to trim? Trimming is half the fun! You can trim and re plant the trimmings.

Also, do you plan to get a Co2 system?

Another way to limit the amount of algae, if to Either 1( Get Anacharis (It takes a lot of nutrients from the water, hence less algae) and 2( Get floating plants. (Salvinia and frogbit are my two favorites)

thanks @Byron I think I can reduce the lighting to 75%, which is bright enough and reduce the amount of hours it's on. I also plan on getting floating plants to block out the light a bit. Viking recommended nerite snails as well.
Just saw this post, good thinking on the floating plants. Getting some Nerite snails will definitely help as well. Are you only planning on making it a snail tank? Or do you plan to get fish?

Just saw this post, good thinking on the floating plants. Getting some Nerite snails will definitely help as well. Are you only planning on making it a snail tank? Or do you plan to get fish?

Ah, forgot to mention...it is for my male betta, I made the mistake of putting him in a tank with four female bettas.

Why would you not want to trim? Trimming is half the fun! You can trim and re plant the trimmings.

Also, do you plan to get a Co2 system?

Another way to limit the amount of algae, if to Either 1( Get Anacharis (It takes a lot of nutrients from the water, hence less algae) and 2( Get floating plants. (Salvinia and frogbit are my two favorites)

I like trimming as well, but I already have to maintain a 75 gallon and my wife already upset how much time I spend on that one. So a low maintenance tank is my only other option.

And no Co2 system. I have zero experience with pressurized Co2, but maybe someday.

Ah, forgot to mention...it is for my male betta, I made the mistake of putting him in a tank with four female bettas.
Ok! Sounds good! My best suggestion is to get floating plants. Is the light not adjustable at all?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back