Low KH Levels

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Coolysd

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey y'all! So my 75g with fish is still cycling and making great progress. I also have a 5g cycling without fish which isn't doing so well. Today the PH on both tanks dropped to 75g 6.6 5g 6.0 from a pretty consistent 7.4. I checked the KH & GH levels and the KH for the 75g 35.8 and the 5g 17.9. The GH levels are always 300+ due to where I live.
I did a 20% wc on the 75g and a 75% wc on the 5g. PH for both are back to 7.4.

My question is regarding the KH. I did a little research and know that it's a buffer that helps keep the PH at a consistent level. All the other info I read as far as fixing it has me a little confused. So I thought I would ask the experts. 😁

Why would the KH drop so low and how do I treat it?

TIA and happy fishkeeping!

well simply putting it...think of this as an old traditional family...
ph the son kh the father and gh the stay at home mom...
the "harder the father works" to neutralize acids the more food the son has (increased kh)
the longer the mom works in the kitchen to create meals will make the family fatter...(increased gh)
some fish like guppies like a hard working mom/dad which in turn gives them a higher (ph)...basically more stuff available
and some fish like discus only like to eat when they're feeling like it....softer water
now...if you used an rodi system to filter water...(think of it as "pay as you work" for dad...)
mom would also have less food available in the kitchen to make and in turn the son (ph) would be skinnier

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back