Loud fluval filter

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ry4n7

Reaction score
The last week or 2 my fluval 205 filter has been quite loud. I took it apart and cleaned the sponges and media cartridges, the flow seems ok. Any idea what would be casing it to run loudly?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I would suggest taking a look at the impeller. My old Fluval 2 series used to make a loud noise if it wasn't seated properly. Take it apart and make sure it's clean and in place correctly.

Depending on the sound it could also be some trapped air which is usually released by tilting the filter to dislodge it and allow it to escape.

I would suggest taking a look at the impeller. My old Fluval 2 series used to make a loud noise if it wasn't seated properly. Take it apart and make sure it's clean and in place correctly.

Depending on the sound it could also be some trapped air which is usually released by tilting the filter to dislodge it and allow it to escape.
It sounds like a rattle, I've had the impeller out and cleaned a few times tonight alone. I did prime it with the output under the water which I now isn't ideal. Would it be worth re doing everything?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I would yes. Take it out and making sure it's seated correctly and the impeller shaft is clean and in correctly. If that isn't lined up correctly it will be noisy.

I'm guessing as its an older model that you've had it a while. You may need to replace the impeller as they do wear out over time.

Set it back up correctly and try again. It could still be trapped air somewhere that is causing it to be loud. Make sure when it's all connected up and first running you give it a proper tilt around to dislodge any trapped air.

If that isn't helping have a look at a replacement impeller but do make sure you've cleared all air pockets first.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back