lots of questions

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

iloveyou

Fish Herder
Reaction score
im waitin for my parents to buy me a big tank... few weeks away hopefully.. i was at the lfs today checking out all their cichclids.. and i was wondering if anyone could answer some questions about these cichlids...

how easy to breed,
temperment,
water conditions,
how big they grow/how fast,
anything else that seems neccessary.

1) bolivian/german rams
2) neon jewel cichlid
ummmmm
3) parrot fish
4) severums

and any other neat cichlids that arent too expensive...

someones gotta know something :S

i have a 10 gallon tank waitin for some fish to go in it..

maybe some rams? ... angels will get too big for the 10 eventually ... i love breeding anything with fins... got any ideas?

hey love

Jewels, parrots (blood parrot?) and severums are all no good for a 10 gallon tank.

Your choices are Rams, Apistogramma, and Kribs.

Like most cichlids they are easy to keep and breed very readily as long as you provide the right conditions. They are not very aggressive normally, but aggression increases considerably when they are breeding. They will generally leave non-cichlid fish alone, but all intruders into their nest will be treated equally.

Although easy to keep, they need very clean water. In a small tank like 10 gallons this means you need to be good with maintenance, and water changes should be done on a weekly basis.

You also need to have an established pair. You can try just buying a male and female but this doensn't always work, and in many cases one will kill the other. The best way to acheive a solid pair is to purchase 4 juviniles, let them form on their own, and then return the remaining two fish. This will create the strongest monogomous bond.

They are best kept under the security of cover, so provide lots of plants, fake or real. Use smooth rocks as spawning sites, river rock works well.

i was considering kribs.. but wasnt sure if theyd like a 10 gallon.. ive done kribs before without success... i was too young and stupid :S...

1 lfs has huge ones for $9 each... another has smaller ones for $3

i think ill go buy 2 of the smaller ones... try to find a pair.. but the tanks only have gravel in them so its not like 2 of them will be in a pot or anything so itll be kinda difficult to get a pair.. if i buy them young enough hopefully theyll pair up :D

im going on saturday ill let u kno how things go :D

i got a question about the rams also.... do they breed as easily as kribs?
how can u distinguish males from females.... i saw some of them they look nice... it would be 1 pair for a 10 right?... thanks a lot for the help :D

Most reactions

Back