Lost some Penguin Tetras (original title 'lost some cardinal penguins')

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

imw

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
The original thread title referred to cardinal penguins. During the thread it became apparent that the fish were actually penguin tetras. The title has been edited to the correct species.

Hi,

Lost a few of the above. Remainder are huddled to together in bottom corner of tank.

I do not have any other fish in tanks.

Ammonia - Zero
Nitrate - Zero
Nitrite - Zero
PH 7.2
Temp 25

No obvious cause I can see. Whilst I have been watching the tank 3 have come out of hiding, the rest remain in bottom corner.

So possible cause please and remedy ?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
What's a cardinal penguin?
Pictures and video of the fish?
How long has the tank been set up for?
How long have you had the fish for?
How long have they been acting like this?
What have you done to the tank in the few days before this started?

What's a cardinal penguin?
Pictures and video of the fish?
How long have you had the fish for?
How long have they been acting like this?
What have you done to the tank in the few days before this started?
Sorry, Tetra, my bad. Got fish on Friday. Been acting like this since this am (a few have now come out and seem normal.) Done nothing to tank since I got the fish. So no pictures as having problems uploading.

ATB

10 plants and a number of floating plants. (more have come out hiding now)
Aim to have between 30-50% of your tank in plants especially with Cardinals
IMG_0053.JPG

Temperature is the other crucial factor, Cardinals like warmth up around 30 degrees. You need to make them feel secure. A photo of your tank would be helpful.

Temperature is the other crucial factor, Cardinals like warmth up around 30 degrees. You need to make them feel secure. A photo of your tank would be helpful.

As said, unable to upload at present. Will increase temp a tad. Would the behaviour of huddling at bottom of corner of tank be temp related ?

As said, unable to upload at present. Will increase temp a tad. Would the behaviour of huddling at bottom of corner of tank be temp related ?
Could well be they should be swimming like the photo I uploaded

Could well be they should be swimming like the photo I uploaded
Mine are not - just hanging (now mid water)about the intake of the external. a few are acting normal (3-4)
One or two are struggling - not swimming in a normal fashion - seem to swim in a twitching action.

Last edited:
Did they hide in the morning when you turned the tank light on?
How do you normally turn the tank light on?

Can you upload a video to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here. It might show us something while you try to figure out the pictures?

--------------------
TURNING LIGHTS ON AND OFF
Stress from tank lights coming on when the room is dark can be an issue. Fish don't have eyelids and don't tolerate going from complete dark to bright light (or vice versa) instantly.

In the morning open the curtains or turn the room light on at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the tank light on. This will reduce the stress on the fish and they won't go from a dark tank to a bright tank instantly.

At night turn the room light on and then turn the tank light off. Wait at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the room light out. This allows the fish to settle down for the night instead of going from a brightly lit tank to complete darkness instantly.

Try to have the lights on at the same time each day. Use a timer if possible.

Did they hide in the morning when you turned the tank light on?
How do you normally turn the tank light on?

Can you upload a video to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here. It might show us something while you try to figure out the pictures?

--------------------
TURNING LIGHTS ON AND OFF
Stress from tank lights coming on when the room is dark can be an issue. Fish don't have eyelids and don't tolerate going from complete dark to bright light (or vice versa) instantly.

In the morning open the curtains or turn the room light on at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the tank light on. This will reduce the stress on the fish and they won't go from a dark tank to a bright tank instantly.

At night turn the room light on and then turn the tank light off. Wait at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the room light out. This allows the fish to settle down for the night instead of going from a brightly lit tank to complete darkness instantly.

Try to have the lights on at the same time each day. Use a timer if possible.
Hi,

I do not know how to upload to you tube.

The lights are fluval 2.0 aqausky (ramps up and down at the end of schedule|) Tank has been up and running for 3 weeks. This is the first time the fish have acted this way.. I am off to my LFS (just down the road) to see if they can suggest anything - I am at a loss to understand the issue.

Thanks for your input .

ATB

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean first and see how they look after that. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Nervous behaviour is usually caused by poor water quality or some other form of stress. A big water change will rule out the water being the cause.

Most reactions

trending

Back