Lost Power

kribensis12

I know where you live
Joined
Nov 13, 2006
Messages
8,679
Reaction score
593
Points
113
Location
Peoria, Illinois
Well, yesterday is was black out all day. It started raining and went on all night. It was bad rain, but it was so windy that it felt like a thunderstorm. This morning, I woke up to find our power is out. It was out since about 1 AM. All of my fish were fine, but obviously they weren't being filtered or heated. I came home to find the power back on. All the tanks up and running but one. It is a 20 gallon flat hexagon housing 4 angelfish( pairing off) and 7 Albino Bristlenose ( pairing off). The filter was a bad one to start off with (bought it dirt cheap at an auction, but it's a horrible filter). So, it needed a new filter pad (filled with slime) and the impeller was stuck. Great reason to buy a new one, right?
So, I go to PetSmart and get a new one. I bought a 30g filter, because a 30g tank of mine has a 20g filter, so I figured I would swap them out.It's an Aqua Clear. It cost me 36 dollars!!!!! Last time I bought an Aqua Clear (over a year ago), it was 16 dollars for a 20g filter (those are now 26 dollars). HUGE price jump. I almost bought the PetSmart brand one, but it needed special filter pads, and honestly, the Aqua Clear needs a sponge, which you only need to buy once, and it is easy to clean. So, it was 4:40 and I had work at 5 o'clock. I set the filter up and got it running, changed into work clothes and it made it to work 5 minutes before my shift started.I wouldn't have bothered with a new filter today if it weren't for the fact that the angels were gasping and the bristlenose were darting up the walls getting air. I work till close, so PetSmart would be closed by then.
Anyway, here I am, after a long stressful day of school and work, and having 36 dollars less than I did this morning. But look on the bright side, at least my fish haven't died, yet. The problem is, I had to throw out the old filter, it was to disgusting. The filter pad smelled like dead fish, and was all slimy. So, I pray to God that there is enough bacteria in the gravel to keep the tank cycled while the media is being established.

RANT OVER.
 
Oh man dude!

I hope that new filter catches on quick! Can you put some mature filter media in that new filter from some of your other filters?

-FHM
 
Petsmart will usually price match, at least most stores seem too. Its not advertised, but if you as at the register and have a ad for them to match they do it. They will match any online websites. You can usually cut their price by 50-60% and they will still match it. Try it next time.
 
Don't feed for a few days, feed lightly for the next week. Get ready for some water changes, you may get lucky though.
 
I'm planning on putting a bag of Bio-Balls from my African Cichlid tank in there when I get home from school today.
 
Yeah dude, that should help out a lot!

Hope every thing works out for ya!

-FHM
 
I haven't put in the bio-balls yet. I checked the water yesterday and Ammonia and NitrItes are still at 0. I think they'll be okay.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top