Looking To Get My Tank Back Into Shape?

Jht

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jun 2, 2003
Messages
354
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Leeds/Manchester, UK
Hey all, I used to go on here a lot a few years ago and I used to really be into fishkeeping and whatnot. Anyways I have a juwel rekord 60 and have had it for a good few years now, its been a community tank, a puffer tank and a planted tank, I really did used to spend a lot of money and look after it really well. Anyways that was a good few years back and I just sort of lost interest as I got older, however I'm looking to get my tank looking respectable again but I not 100% on where to start. At the moment the tank has one krib in it and two khuli loaches, they all seem pretty content but I'm looking to add some hardy colourful fish in, was thinking livebearers but their babies got too much last time I had some.

I was also looking to get some hardy plants in there, I used to have it all planted and run a c02 kit in there, but I've forgotten everything to do with plants now. Also does anyone know what size bulb I need for juwel rekord 60/70 the light as mine definitely needs replacing? Anyways I'm going to head to my LFS soon to pickup a few ornaments and what not, may get some pics up if I make the tank look nice again, o ye and its fully cycled etc and tests come out fine. :rolleyes:
 
Hi.

I'm in the same situation as you are right now - my tank got a little out of order - for me it was due becoming ill for a couple of months and a few stays in hospital - I had to rely on folk looking after the tank for me and then folk would bring me fish as a get well present :no: (what can you do when they hand you a bag of fish) as a result things got a little out of proportion, my tank became over stocked etc.

Now I'm well on the road to recovery, I'm now working on rectifying the tank and bringing back up to par - starting with the problem of overstocking. - anyways I'm not going to bore you anymore with that, but allow me to try and suggest some stock that might work.

I'm not really familiar with Kribs, and not sure how they do when single, but when they're in pairs - and begin breeding I do know they can become quite aggressive, and that Juwel Rekord being 54 letres may be a little too small to accumulate the aggression of a pair of Kribs. If it were me I'd probably try re-homing the krib to give you more options for re-stocking (however I've just recently asked advice about kribs myself - so may be an idea to wait for someone who knows more about those before and if you decide to make a change regarding those.

Ok as for some colorful/interesting and hardy fish that you could add to your tank.

Perhaps a school of 5/6 Danios and 5/6Neon Tetras but not with those kribs as the tetras may become food

or

5/6 cherry barbs with perhaps 5/6 Danios (Danios are always on the move and active livening up the tank and don't forget there are several different species of them to choos from i.e lepoard, zebra, golden, giant)

or

I have black neon tetras - although at first you wouldn't think they are colorful or interesting when you first see them at the LFS, I find them really attractive in the tank - and you could then possibly add a different variety of tetra with them or as I have done perhaps some harelquin rasboras which I really enjoy watching.

You may also want to add to the number of Kuli Loaches if the bio load allows you to as I believe they do better in groups!

Hope this helps a little - sorry I couldn't help with the lighting and the Co2 system - perhaps someone else will be able to help with that :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top