Looking For Some Opinions On A Harlequin Rasbora

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Alm0stAwesome

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Hi All, I added some more espei rasbora to my group around 3 weeks ago. Mixed in with them were what I'm calling harlequins but I'm not 100% they are...anyway, a few days ago I noticed this guy/gal was looking very pale and looked a bit swollen. Kind of barrel shaped actually. It's not been showing any other behavioural/physical symptoms until this morning I had a peep at it and it was on it's own at the back of the tank looking paler but the lights were all off so it could have been snoozing and pale because it was dark :dunno:

I took a video of it last night, it's REALLY poor quality and far too long but it was late and I couldn't be bothered editing it. I kept filming because I wanted it to turn so that you could see its shape as it's not so clear from the side - neither the fish nor the camera were cooperating.

It's in with a bunch of espei rasboras which is making it look even paler but there are a couple other of the same type of rasbora in there so if you look closely you can compare their shape and colour to the ill one. Last thing to point out is that it does poop while I was filming and it looks pale but that's because they had brine shrimp for dinner, the size and consistency were normal :sick: lol - sorry :blush:

mine are the exact same but i have three pale(ish) ones and brightly coloured one

Why does everyone have to talk about poop around here? The good thing is that if only one fish is being funny then it's probably either nothing, or not contagious.

<<---says the queen of paranoia

i think its females that turn pale and males that go bright because ive determined ive got 3 girls and 1 male and the male seems to be the brighter one and at night him and a certain female do their buisness every singe night but dont spawn every night but are trying right now and they have spawned 4 times but ive just not seen the eggs quick enough so they all died

It's not an espei rasbora it's a harlequin of some type. Trust me it's not supposed to look like that lol.

LOL! I wouldn't have mentioned the poop if it hadn't of gone during the video! Yeah I'm thinking it's an isolated problem myself. I'm not doing anything for it which I kind of feel bad about :dunno:....it's still alive today, I think this is probably day 4 or 5 that it's been having problems.

No other ideas?

No doubt it'll end up there in the end lol, I just like to understand what's going on!

WHYYEEEE!!?!??!?!?!?!? :shout:

I'm not sure if that was the right smiley or not...they don't animate on my work computer - tyrants.

Most reactions

trending

Back