Looking for a fish to help keep platy fry population under control

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hazyvonne

Reaction score
I have a 55g, well-planted community tank. There's currently platy, corys and oto cats in there (and two amano shrimp but I haven't seen them in ages). I thought the platies would eat a large portion of their own fry but the tank is just too well planted. I have taken 40 fry out of the tank and put them in my quarantine tank. Now there's another 50-ish fry in the tank and the girls are pregnant again. I don't mind raising the fry and then taking them to my LFS (in fact I'm pretty fond of them and fascinated by seeing them grow up - removing all the boys/girls would be a last-ditch effort) but I'd prefer about half as many of them - it's just too much. Do you have any suggestions for a fish that would be happy to eat some of those fry? I'd rather have a fish that does not require a large group. Something that would be happy with 6 or fewer friends (preferably fewer). I was thinking a betta, or two dwarf gouramis, or a couple of Rams? I hear Angels are amazing but I feel they get too big for my tank. Any other ideas?
Thank you!

I have a 55g, well-planted community tank. There's currently platy, corys and oto cats in there (and two amano shrimp but I haven't seen them in ages). I thought the platies would eat a large portion of their own fry but the tank is just too well planted. I have taken 40 fry out of the tank and put them in my quarantine tank. Now there's another 50-ish fry in the tank and the girls are pregnant again. I don't mind raising the fry and then taking them to my LFS (in fact I'm pretty fond of them and fascinated by seeing them grow up - removing all the boys/girls would be a last-ditch effort) but I'd prefer about half as many of them - it's just too much. Do you have any suggestions for a fish that would be happy to eat some of those fry? I'd rather have a fish that does not require a large group. Something that would be happy with 6 or fewer friends (preferably fewer). I was thinking a betta, or two dwarf gouramis, or a couple of Rams? I hear Angels are amazing but I feel they get too big for my tank. Any other ideas?
Thank you!
Just about any fish will eat fry when given the opportunity.

tetras - red eye are the ones I put in with the plain guppies for population management

Why not get rid of the male platies and only keep females?
Eventually the females will stop reproducing and no more babies.

Thank you, everybody, for your replies! I've always wanted a betta, so I think I was mainly looking for an excuse - might still get one but won't expect him/her to help with the fry. I also now realize that I've probably been feeding them too well. Even been spoiling them all with frozen worms and home-grown fresh live baby brine shrimp. Why hunt fry if the silly human puts all these goodies right in front of your face? I'll cut down on the feeding (which will help my water parameters as well - had to do too many water changes lately) and see what that does. Also, I guess as I keep a few of those babies around, there'll be more adults to eat the fry. If I keep getting overwhelmed, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get rid of the boys. Anyway, I really appreciate you all taking the time to answer! Thank you!

Thank you, everybody, for your replies! I've always wanted a betta, so I think I was mainly looking for an excuse - might still get one but won't expect him/her to help with the fry. I also now realize that I've probably been feeding them too well. Even been spoiling them all with frozen worms and home-grown fresh live baby brine shrimp. Why hunt fry if the silly human puts all these goodies right in front of your face? I'll cut down on the feeding (which will help my water parameters as well - had to do too many water changes lately) and see what that does. Also, I guess as I keep a few of those babies around, there'll be more adults to eat the fry. If I keep getting overwhelmed, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get rid of the boys. Anyway, I really appreciate you all taking the time to answer! Thank you!

I didn't mention it in my other post, but bettas are a naturally aggressive and territorial fish. The likelihood of getting a betta that will be peaceful in a community tank and not harass the other fish is very, very low. They do not do well in community tanks and prefer their own space/territory.

I didn't mention it in my other post, but bettas are a naturally aggressive and territorial fish. The likelihood of getting a betta that will be peaceful in a community tank and not harass the other fish is very, very low. They do not do well in community tanks and prefer their own space/territory.
And even if they are not outwardly stressed or aggressive the pheromones they release into the water will stress them and the other fish

If you get a betta please keep it in its own tank
My LFS has some of their bettas in community tanks to show that these specific ones have shown to be chill enough to live in a community. But I, of course also realize they are in the business of making money, so that might be a marketing ploy. So, you are saying even those that my LFS considers fine in a community tank are really not going to be fine in a community tank? I did not know that. Thank you for the heads up!

My LFS has some of their bettas in community tanks to show that these specific ones have shown to be chill enough to live in a community. But I, of course also realize they are in the business of making money, so that might be a marketing ploy. So, you are saying even those that my LFS considers fine in a community tank are really not going to be fine in a community tank? I did not know that. Thank you for the heads up!
They can suddenly snap and go berserk.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back