Look Who Visited Me

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I would love to live in australia and see them as wildlife. Seeing them in the pet stores breaks my heart.

The most interesting birds we have here are cardinals.

Cardinals are pretty too, Further north in Australia you can if your lucky get to see wild Gouldian finches :hyper: and in at least one cattle property Golden Shouldered Parrots :wub: . I used to have red backed wrens visit my yard until all the cattle paddocks over the back from my place got cleared for houses :no: . When I first moved to this town we didn't have turtlenecked doves but now they are every where as well as sparrows so they are pushing more of the natives out. Even the flocks of Double bar finches that used to always be in my yard rarely turn up any more :sad: .
What breaks my heart is seeing sulpher crested cockatoos kept in galvanised cocky cages that are barely bigger than the cockatoo, and the unprepared gal starts leaching oxcides and slowly poisons the bird. And yet cages that should only ever be used for transportation or as hospital cages are still sold and some poor bird is jammed into it for life. At times I think my aviary is too small.

P1020812.jpg

Techniqually I got these photos a while ago of the Sacred King fisher but he/ she/ they still frequent my yard and raid my fish pond. So here's another visitor.
P1020878.jpg

P1020877.jpg

He was banging around in the carshed at night so I caught him up for the night and released him after taking the photos.

Its been a while but here is another frequent visitor to my yard.

A Peewee Or Mud Lark.

P1050530.jpg

This is a male the females have more white on their faces.
Australia seems to have an uncanny number of black and white birds.

Lovely pics.
The only black & white bird we see here in the uk is the magpie

I'll try to get some pictures of magpies, butcher birds, currawongs and a Willie wagtail, heaps of other black and white birds here but they don't all frequent my yard.

I'll try to get some pictures of magpies, butcher birds, currawongs and a Willie wagtail, heaps of other black and white birds here but they don't all frequent my yard.

I got these photos of pelicans this morning at a local recently flooded lagoon, Sorry the pics aren't fantastic, I will hopefully get to go down to the lagoon early Sunday morning with my proper camera and not just my phone. But in the meantime enjoy.

IMAG0228-Copy2.jpg

IMAG0229-Copy2.jpg

IMAG0230-Copy2.jpg

I also had these harliquin bugs join me for a bit on the ride on mower.

IMAG0232-Copy2.jpg

IMAG0231-Copy2.jpg

How do I ever get any work done :lol: , especially when we have these next guys (actually a female and her last young one) living in one of the sheds at my work.
IMAG0051.jpg

Mum above and subadult bub below
IMAG0053.jpg

And yes they are as soft as they look but they have sharp teeth and claws.

I also took some video of the pelicans so I will work out how to get that off my phone and upload later.

Very cool if it wasn't for the spiders I'd love to live in Australia :drool:

The spiders are nothing its the snakes you have to watch out for :lol: . Honestly all the bitey, creepie crawlie, stinging critters here are not that bad, in fact I haven't seen a red back spider in years.

Yeah it's not the poison that creeps me out it's the huge spiders lol just not my thing I like snakes tbh ( probably be a different story if they were hiding around every corner lol)

Not the best video but here goes, some footage of the pelicans.

http://s1139.photobu...t=VIDEO0009.mp4

If you have the sound up you should here other birds and things in the background.Bird calls I can pick out are butcher bird, currawong, peewee, spurwinged plover and I think a crow.

Well I went down to the lagoon first thing this morning and all though there where quite a few pelicans about they where not congregated like they where the other day, but I did get lucky and have a family of black swans decide to come over for a closer look.

So enjoy the Pelicans and Black swans.

P1050603.jpg

Above a juvi pelican that probably hatched out at Lake Eyre

P1050598.jpg

P1050554.jpg

P1050551.jpg

P1050594.jpg

P1050593.jpg

P1050592.jpg

P1050595.jpg

P1050597.jpg

And now for the black swans

P1050559.jpg

P1050570.jpg

P1050579.jpg

P1050581.jpg

P1050582.jpg

Really dumb question but are black swans more common than white swans in Australia (good pics btw)

Black swans are native here the only white swans we have are introduced ones and they are in extremely limited places and numbers.

Ahh exact opersit here lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back