Longfin Blue Danio - red gills

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jbram

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 6 longfin blue danios, had them about 1.5 weeks. This is a 30 gallon established tank, live planted. Tank mates are a Dwarf gourami and 6 cory. Water parameters test great. Water temp 78.

All the Danio are active, chasing each other. None are going up gulping air at the surface or acting lethargic.

Several of the Danio have bright red gills, I am worried about fluke or other pasasites but sm not sure if this is normal. Would take a picture but they wont sit still and pose for me

Pictures of some of the fish

Attachments

• 20200409_144126.jpg
    20200409_144126.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 99
  • 20200409_144117.jpg
    20200409_144117.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 78
Yes my water tests are great, ran them a few times as ammonia poisoning was the #1 cause on all the research I have found. I tested my water 2 days ago then did a 20% change yesterday and restested today.

Yes my water tests are great, ran them a few times as ammonia poisoning was the #1 cause on all the research I have found. I tested my water 2 days ago then did a 20% change yesterday and restested today.
Is your temp fine for them and the next thing could be Ich starting have you seen any weird behaviour regarding rubbing their bodies or any spots?..if it's none of these then it would most likely be parasites but they would need treating if several have them already, i could see it in picture 1.

Water temp is consistent around 78., No rubbing or flashing. Their behaviors are what I would call normal for Danios. Chasing each other, cruising around the tank, nothing abnormal. I went ahead and added some freshwater aquarium salt, from research I have done the salt can help with patasites. My next steps sounds like parasite treatment, I will go get some API treatment.

Water temp is consistent around 78., No rubbing or flashing. Their behaviors are what I would call normal for Danios. Chasing each other, cruising around the tank, nothing abnormal. I went ahead and added some freshwater aquarium salt, from research I have done the salt can help with patasites. My next steps sounds like parasite treatment, I will go get some API treatment.
Your temp is the same as mine, yes API stuff is good i always use it...you did right adding the salt and this video shows a person removing there fish which was infected and it shows you the red gills, so adding the salt may be enough.

Your temp is the same as mine, yes API stuff is good i always use it...you did right adding the salt and this video shows a person removing there fish which was infected and it shows you the red gills, so adding the salt may be enough.

I would be afraid to try the process in the video. Afraid I would kill my fish

Reading more on this sounds like this is common in Danios

Gill flukes? @Colin_T what's your take on this?

Today the red is still present but is not as bright. Not sure if the aquarium salt helped, if it took a day or so after the water change or a combination. Will continue to monitor, probably do snother water change in 2 days and add some more salt. Just waiting on my API treatment for flukes to arrive.

puc from today

Attachments

• 20200410_150639.jpg
    20200410_150639.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 52
Pics from today

Attachments

• 20200410_150603.jpg
    20200410_150603.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 78
  • 20200409_144126.jpg
    20200409_144126.jpg