Llj's 8G Oceanic Biocube

Very nice choice that scallop! What are the round structures on top of your live rock?

It's a piece of branching Tonga rock. I just saw it at my LFS & wanted it. Dunno what I'll do to it. Maybe throw some zoa frags on it. :D

I had a flame scallop in mine ( went when I sold my marine ) and a very cool creature but a pain in the butt if it can't find a spot it likes as they stir the sand so much

But looks very nice setup :good:

I had a flame scallop in mine ( went when I sold my marine ) and a very cool creature but a pain in the butt if it can't find a spot it likes as they stir the sand so much

But looks very nice setup :good:

Thanks. :)

Haha, woke up this morning, guess who I couldn't find? Mr. Scallop. Let's see where he went. There's nothing there big enough that can eat him.

AH cool! Scallop is very pretty! I don't know if id have time to culture phyto etc. Or do you just buy it? I haven't gotten that involved.

-Tyler

AH cool! Scallop is very pretty! I don't know if id have time to culture phyto etc. Or do you just buy it? I haven't gotten that involved.

-Tyler

Thanks, found Mr. Scallop, he lives in another part of the tank now, where I can't see him so well. Stupid Mr. Scallop. As for the phytoplankton, I just buy it. Dr. G's is the brand I use. Good stuff. I buy his pods and rotifers on occasion too. I know my panda goby eats them in my 5.5g, so I like to maintain the population if I can. I also have a whole slew of bottled plankton mixes that I keep in the fridge. Keeps everybody happy.

I had to put frags in this tank as my inverts in my old 8g kept knocking them over. Putting the purigen and chemipure elite to work, and the fuge. It looks really nice though. Will test my params before the water change tomorrow and see where I am. Thinking fish soon, but again, don't do what I do. Taking another risk. You never learn if you don't take risks though.

The corals in this tank are SICK!! Sick as in nice, not as in ill. Must get better camera skills. LEDS make everything blue in pictures! Meh!!!

L

-Tyler

Thanks, found Mr. Scallop, he lives in another part of the tank now, where I can't see him so well. Stupid Mr. Scallop. As for the phytoplankton, I just buy it. Dr. G's is the brand I use. Good stuff. I buy his pods and rotifers on occasion too. I know my panda goby eats them in my 5.5g, so I like to maintain the population if I can. I also have a whole slew of bottled plankton mixes that I keep in the fridge. Keeps everybody happy.

I had to put frags in this tank as my inverts in my old 8g kept knocking them over. Putting the purigen and chemipure elite to work, and the fuge. It looks really nice though. Will test my params before the water change tomorrow and see where I am. Thinking fish soon, but again, don't do what I do. Taking another risk. You never learn if you don't take risks though.

The corals in this tank are SICK!! Sick as in nice, not as in ill. Must get better camera skills. LEDS make everything blue in pictures! Meh!!!

L

My LFS has a scallop just like yours. A tad bigger I think though.

-Tyler

-Tyler

L

My LFS has a scallop just like yours. A tad bigger I think though.

-Tyler

The one in your store may be a Limia species, a flame scallop. I've got a Pecten species. Actually, he's really hidden in a rock now, so I have no idea if he's ok. I may have to shift things about and make sure he's got an in and an out. He was better off where he was. A bit stupid.

I've got a massively huge update on this tank to do but I'd rather wait. Some changes so far...

1. Removed Tonga branch
2. Have to store frags here so we have corals
3. Still trying to figure out how to take good pictures with the LEDs.

I've made some controversial choices yet again regarding this tank, so the disclaimer will be going up on this one as well. *sigh* I keep breaking rules. I was this way with my planted tanks too. *sigh*

L

fantastic little tank , I love the way you break the rules and get away with it ha!! experience makes you wise!!!

Dave

fantastic little tank , I love the way you break the rules and get away with it ha!! experience makes you wise!!!

Dave

I don't love it. It makes me a terrible influence to a newbie. The only reason I get away with it is because I'm willing to do the extra maintenance.

It'll be a sweet little tank though. My sps frags are doing well. I just have to mount a few more corals, mostly acans.

The big thing about this tank is that it's more "high-end". Unlike my last 8g, all my zoas are named. It's also more of a mixed reef. I got a lot of stuff from other local hobbyist, so that drove down price.

The fish choice is terrible. Don't worry, it's not a tang. Even I know when to draw the line. :lol:

Well, the disclaimer to noobs is officially up in page 1 of this thread too, so you know now that some very bad decisions that, however, seem to work extremely well for me have already been/will be made. :rolleyes:

Expect pictures... Soon... Still need to work out my camera. I actually have to edit the photos. I take them, they are blue and then I use a program to gradually get them to kinda how they look in real life.

Tank looks great. Can't find my pecten, will search for him tonight. He moved, so now he's hard to find. When the blue rebels are on, the color is sooooooo intense it's not even funny. Impossible to get a photo that's totally accurate. Some diatoms, but I don't have a very strong CUC, on purpose. I don't want things being knocked about. May add more ceriths and possibly a trochus when I've secured everything. Will be acquiring the following today...

-Valentine's Day Massacre Palythoa
-God of War Palythoa

I need to secure a few acan frags, yes, I've got acans. I got a lot of stuff in this tanks. :look:

Won't tell you the rest of what I've got. All I'll say is that I've got a mixed reef and most everything has a name and things have been doing great for a few weeks.

The planned livestock is terrible, don't do this, but I have a gut instinct about this lineup. I'll just say that two fish are on hold for me at the LFS and one of them is a Helfrich's firefish.

Thanks for looking, and again, please don't do what I do!

Edit: Some teaser shots, including the Duncan, Tyler...

GSP
577ea645.jpg

Ponape Birdsnest
09f96fcc.jpg

4 head, well now 8 headed, duncan. Yes, there's an Aussie Lord Acan colony back there... Sigh, told you. I've been bad.

92317242.jpg

L

So purrrdddy =). I love it. Mine will have a zillion heads soon. Wish mine had a bit more color though. I need to go get some more small zoa frags or a pally =)

-Tyler

So purrrdddy =). I love it. Mine will have a zillion heads soon. Wish mine had a bit more color though. I need to go get some more small zoa frags or a pally =)

-Tyler

Yeah, can't go wrong with zoas or palys. A lot of my frags came from Local hobbyists. Especially the zoanthids and palys. I've got a lot of those.

It's sick, will post the real update soon.

L

Ok, substrate corals have been temporarily moved to my old 8g in preparation for the new fish. Also did a water change & shifted some zoas about.

L

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back