Live Rock

lee8040

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
does live rock die or if its left out of water or in wrong water, i.e to much salt or not enough etc will it die and not come back or will it always eventually come back to life?

Live rock will die, and not come back. It's just normal rock, but it's inhabited by thousands if not millions of tiny little sea creatures that are beneficial to your aquarium, hence the name live rock.

Live rock also houses the bacterial filtration. If you leave it out of the water those bacteria die and the tank is left without it's filter. Here's an article I wrote on live rock that might help a bit.

Thing is I have about 5kg of live rock but my tank as not gone to plan and due to lack of funds and a new baby I have to give it up. I'm not to sure if its still alive, how would I tell?

If you have to give the tank up there are a few things you can do. You could sell or trade the rock, you could put the rock in a closed container with water and pumps and a heater to maintain it, but of course this is like having a tank so that's not a good idea for you, or you could simply let the rock dry out. If and when you can get back into the tank you simply buy one small piece of live rock to put in the new tank with all the old and the old will eventually be colonized again. This means a long cycle but it works. Even dry rock is useful for the future.

If you have to give the tank up there are a few things you can do. You could sell or trade the rock, you could put the rock in a closed container with water and pumps and a heater to maintain it, but of course this is like having a tank so that's not a good idea for you, or you could simply let the rock dry out. If and when you can get back into the tank you simply buy one small piece of live rock to put in the new tank with all the old and the old will eventually be colonized again. This means a long cycle but it works. Even dry rock is useful for the future.

i wanted to sell it but i didnt want to sell it as live rock if it has died off. as long as its in saltwater with a pump it will still be alive right?

It needs heat too. But yes. Even if it's dry rock you can still sell it as dry rock. Not worth as much but if you are going to keep it in saltwater with a pump and heater that's almost like having a tank. ;)

It needs heat too. But yes. Even if it's dry rock you can still sell it as dry rock. Not worth as much but if you are going to keep it in saltwater with a pump and heater that's almost like having a tank.
wink.png

im not sure you get what i mean, im selling the rock and the tank but dont want to advertise the rock as live rock if its dead, which im not sure about. its always been in water with a heater and pump but not sure if the balance of salt has been right in the tank. If the salt balance is wrong does it kill live rock?

That depends on how low or high the salt goes. Chances are it's still live rock if it's been in water with a heater and a pump and the salt has been decently close to marine salinity.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back