Live Food?

fish48

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Ah, that's good to know, thanks! I've always just stuck them in my fish stand cupboard and within 24 hours they're climbing the sides.

Speaking of live foods though, @Colin_T remember I was making mosquito ice cubes recently? I just went to change my dog's water bowl and found it full of mosquito larvae. Turns out my mom wanted to cool her water for her and chucked an ice cube in there, not realising it was my fish food! Hmmff. Oh well. The dog would have loved it anyway.
I am lucky to have a section of the freezer to myself when collection daphnia I often freeze a lot of it a culture and lots of fruit flies so freeze some of them

AdoraBelle Dearheart

Nutty fish nutter
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
I am lucky to have a section of the freezer to myself when collection daphnia I often freeze a lot of it a culture and lots of fruit flies so freeze some of them
I do always keep fish food in the bottom drawer, but she spotted the cube tray and didn't think about it, lol. I did remind them that I was freezing a load of the mosquito larvae because there were so many, more than my fish could eat! But I guess she forgot... she is getting a little forgetful at her age. I'm just relieved that she put the cube in the dog bowl, and not her own drink! :lol:

anewbie

Fish Addict
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
I only feed Omega One, Bug Bites, and New Life Spectrum. These do not have cereal meals or fish meals, they are whole fish(or bugs).
northfin is pretty good (but expensive); however with northfin and new life spectrum one concern i have is the amount of garlic they use.. There was an article i saw that was fairly recent that indicated that constant feeding of garlic is actually unhealthy to many fishes.
-
From my readings bloodworm - are quite popular and common but not good for fishes as frequently they have contain contaminations (this has to do with how they are mass produced). There are various worms that are supposed easy to culture (such as vinegar eels) and after i move i might dwell into some of these. I have raised bbs for newly hatched frys (apisto/angels) but as noted by @TwoTankAmin shelf life is very short (I go as long as 48 hours). You can refridge some which is suppose to slow down their metabolism and extend their shelf life but i've not tried that. After i move i inted to focus more on some less common apisto and so will probably set something up for them.

Byron

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Bloodworms have more problems than just the contamination risk. These (and other) worms should not be a staple, just once a week as a treat if at all. I believe it is the fat or something. Their nutritional value is very low anyway, though obviously the frozen do excite fish. But that is like us stuffing ourselves with a favourite rich food that should be eaten in moderation--if at all!

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
You freeze fruit flies ? What is your procedure ?
Put them in a plastic bag with some air. Seal it up and put it in the freezer. The following day, pour the contents of the bag into a plastic container and leave that in the freezer until needed.

I did that for mozzies, flies, aphids, midges and any other insects I could catch in large numbers, including ants.

sharkweek178

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere about cultivating the larvae of those bugs that get into dry goods like flour or rice (I think they're called pantry weevils) as live food for fish. Does anyone know anything about this?

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere about cultivating the larvae of those bugs that get into dry goods like flour or rice (I think they're called pantry weevils) as live food for fish. Does anyone know anything about this?
Flour weevils will live in flour or grains but it's easier to separate them from flour.

Just set up a plastic container (we had 40 litre plastic rubbish bins that were filled with flour (any sort of flour but we had plain and self raising flour made from wheat). The buckets don't have to be full and you can have a couple of inches of flour or a half full bin. Leave the lid partially open for a month and then let it sit for a bit. Check it once a week and see if any small moths come out. The moths are the adult weevils.

To harvest the larvae, simply use a flour sieve to sift some flour. The flour stays in the bucket and the larvae stay in the sieve.

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
"Flour beetles tend to be for larger fish, at least the ones I can get.
the ones we get here are about 8-10mm long and suitable for big tetras, rainbowfish, medium to large angelfish.

Most reactions