Snooks1!
Fish Addict
Would it be safe to use tadpoles I catch from my lakes/streams as live food? If so, how would I go about cleaning them for use?
Thanks in advance
Thanks in advance
Three problems:
1, there are a number of rare or endangered amphibian species almost everywhere, and I'm sure you would not want to add to their problems.
There aren't any around where I'm at. I would be getting maypeep tadpoles, which are nowhere near endangered.
2, With all live caught food, there is a danger of disease, internal parasites, or contamination from chemicals in the water.
Chemicals should not be a problem in my area, though the chance of disease and parasites wouldn't be any less than feeder goldfish/guppies though, eh?
3, Although frog and newt tadpoles would probably be safe, toad tadpoles would not. Unless you are an expert, one tad looks very much like another.
I've been around them all my life, so I'd be able to tell what kind they are. So, I don't really see any more harm in wild caught live food than horribly inbred feeder fish....Unless there may be something I'm not aware of that would make wild caught food extremely dangerous.
So I would say no, don't consider it...