Live ants as food.

Stan510

Fishaholic
Reaction score
When they started to swarm all over some shrimp food I forgot to put away,I got the idea to try and feed them to my fish. The Danios and Rasboras went crazy for them. Large Rainbows didn't really notice them. But,It was interesting to watch the trout like Giant Danios hit the surface in a frenzy of feeding.
Out here the tiny Argentine ant is a menace..especially now looking for any water in our very long dry season. I can't say I would make it a habit..but on occasion,I've left out something near ant trails outdoors and ran in to dip the bowl (minus rotting whatever) in to the tank.
Its summer,why not?

Retired Viking

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
Early this summer when we had a very long dry spell those tiny little brown ants we refer to as "piss ants" came though an open window and were going up the side of my 55 gallon tank and down the air line to the water and taking water. Freaked out my wife. My tetras had a great time eating them as I brushed them into the tank. :devil:

OP
S

Stan510

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I put the cat food down out of harm's way and the other half..decided to move it outside and later I saw it had been covered in dark syrup- oops- those are ants.
So ,big fish feeding today. I will say this..all the small species of fish love eating them..larger won't touch them. Must be an adaptation that young Rainbows go at them..larger 3"+(still kind of slender smaller sized) ignore them.

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
In the wild, ants form a major part of the rainbowfish diet in some areas.

You can use ants, ant eggs, termites and their eggs, small flies, mozzies, mozzie larvae, small moths, aphids and most small non toxic insects that haven't been sprayed.

OP
S

Stan510

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Danio's go crazy for them. Rasboras like them. I really couldn't tell if any ants made it down to the level of Snakeskin barbs. The above mentioned fish were like in a true feeding frenzy.
I've tasted those ants by accident long ago in my days of being single...I did something (can't remember the exact circumstances) and took one bite or drink not knowing of course they had infested the food, and they tasted hot and terrible..hot like peppers,bitter tasting. You would have to be a fish I guess to consider raw Argentine ants as edible.

trending

Staff online

Most reactions - Past 7 days