Little Bug In Tank.

meehan09

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
195
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello.

Ive today noticed a little type ( beetle/insect ) thing in my tropical tank, climbing along the sides.

Id describe it has a little oval shaped insect/creature, with and extendable spike on the rear off it?

Can anyone help me with what this is and where it may have come from, ive added a peace off bog wood recently but i put in boling water so iam unsure it could survive that?

I hope someone can help and should i remove this bug or leave it be?


Thanks
Paul

( PS - i will try get some photos after tea time once my batteries are charged )
 
Can you take a picture. And its possible eggs deep in the wood survived
 
I cannot find it now has it must be hiding somwhere, if it appears on the sides again ill try to get a picture.

It was a clear ( ish ) colour, and was a pointed oval shape with a little spike witch went inside and came out of the bug?

I hope you can help, should i remove this if i see it?


Thanks
Paul
 
My first guess would be yes remove. what you don't want is this little bug turning into a lot of little bugs if it's a pest.
 
I would remove it, it may be a fish louse, check images online to see? either way it's better to be safe than sorry!
 
Yes ive searched google and it looks to be a "fish louse".... What is the best way to get rid off this and all its eggs etc etc so i get no more, i dont want this causing any harm to my fish or anything?


I hope you can direct to best way to remove this.
 
Are there any fish in the tank.
I would say find it and remove then kill it.
Also remove the wood again and really clean it.
 
Yes its in my tank with my guppies and neon tetras :(.... I soaked the wood in boling water over night?.... What do you recommend i do with this wood?

Also its hiding somwhere now, so i will keep cheaking for it and when i see it ill remove it and KILL it :(


Thanks.
 
I have just used my gravel vac to remove thease bugs, they appear to be little snail type things, and some weird looking bugs, ive syphoned them out and flushed them away for good, what should i do now? keep removing each one i see?


Or shall i remove the bogwood and put in boiling water again?


Hope i can compleatly remove thease snails/bugs.
 
Remove bog wood for def. Seems to be the route of the issue.

As for getting bugs out I can think of either finding some bug killer bit like snail killer and see if that works.
Or you changes your substrate and clean the tank.
 
All i have is sand from the lfs and the bogwood was from my local maiden head aquatics, in appley bridge, wigan.


Do you think the bog wood might be ok now ive removed the bugs, i did leave in boiling water for a good solid 24hrs?, I syphoned them out and have boiled them in a bucket and chucked them,.


Do you think i might be ok now?, Thanks.
 
I say boil the bog wood again. when you say boil for 24 hours was it in a pan physically boiling the hole time.
 
i am from the u.s.a so i would say just get rid of the wood i am knowlageable about the bugs here,but i have no clue about the worrys the bugs over there could carry,i suggest to but it in boiling water,even then the bugs eggs could withdstand the temp diffrence.so in your cause i would just throw away the cursed log. :osama: good luck
 
Does it look like this

PondWaterScorpion.jpg


If it is I wouldn't threat unless you have very slow moving and small fry but you could perhaps take to a local pond instead of completely over-reacting and killing the things - after all some of these critters have far more fascinating life cycles than many fish! (but I admit they do not look as pretty).
 

Most reactions

Back
Top