Litter on tank substrate

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Zante

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a list of safe leaves I can litter the bottom of my discus community tank I can collect in nature where I know it is clean. I also have a stock of alder cones and are planning to add those too.

I was wondering if walnut and hazelnut shells can also be added for variety, provided I know where to collect them that they are clean and untreated.

What else could be used to litter the bottom of the tank to let the bristlenoses and corys rummage about?

I believe there is a toxin in walnut hulls (and wood) that means it's not safe for aquariums.

I use oak twigs (you can use the leaves too)

Just a guess but I would be cautious of Black Walnuts shells. The outer husk that is removed from the nut is very acidic and has been used as a dye for years. The convoluted shell would hold quite a bit of this material. I'm sure boiling several times would help out, and all those crevices would be a good medium for biofilm growth. I'm thinking a shell that has been out in the weather one season then boiled might be a better option then fresh. Same thing for Butternuts. Carpathian and English walnuts have a smooth shell and still have that outer husk to watch out for. I actually like Black, Butternut and Hickory nuts as their flavor is more intense, but a bear to crack and harvest nut meats. Just my thoughts.
http://www.shrimpspot.com/topic/7291-walnut-shell-in-a-shrimp-tank/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back