Limp Top Fin On Platty

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hi. I havent yet. Ive had to go out. Ive just noticed one of my guppies are acting strange also but cant see any odd body markings. He is just laying on the gravel.

Im going to get some salt 2morriw as i just missed the petshop. Its shut. :(

Will adding this salt do anything to my other fish?
And could you tell me a good salt to get please?

If you only have the livebearers in the tank salt is fine.
Household salt is fine to use.

Is the fish resting for long periods of time?
Doe he lean to one side when resting?
Is he still eating?
What does it look like when the goes to the toilet?
Can he get off bottom of tank OK?
Is he acting listless and lethargic?
Does he look bloated, or thin?

WILDER said:
If you only have the livebearers in the tank salt is fine.
Household salt is fine to use.

Is the fish resting for long periods of time?
Doe he lean to one side when resting?
Is he still eating?
What does it look like when the goes to the toilet?
Can he get off bottom of tank OK?
Is he acting listless and lethargic?
Does he look bloated, or thin?
yh she is resting alot.
She does lean.
she does come for food.
I havent seen her go if im honest.
she does swim off the bottom fine.
yes, she is acting lithargic
and she looks thin
Whats table salt??
I mean can i use table salt?

Table salt is fine to use for short periods of time.

Check your other fish for when they go to the toilet.
Also check all the fish anus to see if it looks enlarged or red and inflamed.

I think I would separate her and use anti internal bacteria medication by interpet.
If you can't isolate just add it to the main tank.

Ok. Ill look into this. I think my other fish are pooing fine. Its some times long and dark and sometimes its light and curly.

My other platty is reall red on her under belly. I thought shr was the one who gave birth because to be honest there was bo real obvious sign that either were pregnant but i have caught 3 platty fry after about 2 weeks of having these platties. The must have been pregnant when i brought them home.
I put pictures up before her red under belly and most people said it was colouring. I thought it was because she just gave birth. Lol???? But other than the red belly she is fine. She is actually quite a bully. I think she might be why my other one is stressed. or i thought... maybe the stressed one was the one who gave birth??? Im very confused about these two. As i said i didnt notice that any of them looked chubby.
If i add to the tank. Then do i add a carbon filter to remove it after a certain amount of time??

As long as iit does not look like bleeding beneath the skin on the belly area.

I think it also best to use and internal wormer with livebearers.
There a medication called sera nematol.

Just run the black carbon once the medication course has finished. You usually have to also do a water change before.

Attachments

• 31HYYQQgZdL._SP160,160,0,T_.jpg
    31HYYQQgZdL._SP160,160,0,T_.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 108
If i add this medication is it safe to my other fish? As i say my fish are all in a 30litre tank atm. Im in the process of a fishless cycle in my bew 110litre tank, which i think is going to take a couple of weeks.
If i treat the fish with this medication will it harm the fish if it isnt the right medication? Im a bit paranoid that i treat the wrong thing??
Heres pictures of my other platty with red belly.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7s4076r95e3qmn/20140513_182540.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/twa5o39yysamztj/20140513_182543.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjao9dfb91g3qi8/20140513_182550.jpg

The platy with the red belly just looks like colouring to me. So I wouldn't worry to much.

Anti internal bacteria medication by Interpet won;t harm the fish, or good bacteria in the filter

Just want to quickly add that some of mine rarely use their top fins at all, however they shoal and never seem stressed. Haven't the time to read rest of the posts, sorry =]

How are the fish?

I think maybr she is just old. Because she gets fays where she is normal then other days where she will just lay on the bottom. Is there a way to tell how old your fish are??

Have you tried a medications?

Yes. She seem to come right for a few days then yesterday become very fragile. Sadly she died today. :(

Bless Her. Sorry for your loss.
rip.gif

I know they can live up to 2 to 3 years. But how you tell there age I don't know.. 

Most reactions

trending

Back