Lighting

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

NinjaSmurf

Devils Advocate
Reaction score
I've never had a planted tank before so with innocence abound I bought some plants (anacharus? can't spell) and something that the person told me was water sprite (later found out it wasn't) for my tall thirty gallon. The 'water sprite' rotted, then the other plants just fell apart, leaving me with a tornado of leaves flying around my tank. At first I though it was just the evil rotten plants that screwed the other one's up, but then I heard something about florescent lighting. Feeling like a fool, I was wondering if I absolutely have to have florescent lighting or if irridescent bulbs would be okay? I just wanted some low light plants for my tank but I can't afford to try with a hit or miss tactic. The thirty gallon has one clear bulb and one blue, then my five gallon has two clear bulbs. Are there any plants I can get or am I just going to have to save up for a florescent light system?

My anacharis melted when I put it in a tank with a 14 watt fluorescent over it. After a while it started making new growth that was a lot spindlier to acclimate to the conditions.

One note about anacharis: I found out the hard way that it prefers cooler temperatures, else you can get the dreaded melting-disintegrating-anacharis-of-doom phenomenon. It might do well for a while at typical tropical tank temps, but from what I've researched it should be in a coldwater tank.

What is the wattage on the bulbs you have? It's more an issue of light intensity. Some plants will do well at low light levels, others won't...

Had to dig around in the trash for a moment but I found the box. It says 15w for the two bulbs I got for the five gallon and I'm guessing thats the same wattage for the thirty. Okay, have to save up for Florescent for the thirty gallon, but are there any small plants I can get for the fry tank? I just need something for the fry to hide out in. It's pretty well light up from those two bulbs, would that be enough for some plants?

I kinda depends on what lights it is, lots of lights doesn't always mean lots of useable lights,

If the lights is 5000k - 6500k yes you can get plants, any plants. if its normal CF they are 2700K and might not work well

CF 15watts does NOT equal fullspectrum 15watts
CF 45watts does NOT equal fullspectrum 15watts

meaning 2700K + 2700k = 2700K

I'm sorry but I have no idea what all that means. I've never had a planted tank in my life so there was never too much of an issue with the lighting before. All it says on the box is 15 watt 120 volt aquarium lights. There's two of them for the five gallon. If I can't have plants, just say so and I'll put in the ugly fake pink plant in along with the three okay looking ones and just wait until I get the florescent for the big tank.

you dont have to throw out thoughs incan lights. you can buy compact florecents. but make sure they say daylight or full spectrum.

I saw a pic of a mini compact fluorrescent, but I wasn't sure that I could use it in my current light system before. I'm glad I don't have to buy a reflector, it would have cost me over thirty dollars and that's not including the hood.

Most reactions

Back