Lighting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Welshweeks

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi All,

I currently have my lights on in my tank for 7 hrs per day (on a timer) they come on early afternoon until late evening. I'm thinking about also putting them on for an hour in the morning as the room my tank is in is quite dark in the morning and I can't really see them. Would this "spook" the fish as it would be on/off in a relatively short time?

If you're worried about spooking them, I wouldn't. I don't think it would be a very big deal.

Some planted tank folks with timers have their lights on in the morning, a bit of a siesta in the afternoon, and then on all evening.

Finding the right lighting schedule is up to you and your plants, but my personal answer to your question is again, no. It shouldn't be a big deal.

Hey I also have a question about lighting...

I have a similar issue with lighting in a dim room but my concerns are that if I leave the ordinary strip light on longer I will have algae issues?

So I was wondering if installing more lights of a different type (such as LED strips) would also cause algae problems or not?

Cheers

really depends on the wattage of the lighting and how well it penetrates into the water.

at the moment you might as well be asking "if i shine my torch on my fish tank, will algae appear". I would just stare at you like you are some sort of mentalist.

more details needed

Well I guess it will penetrate all the way through the water to illuminate it all.

And LEDs... Well what can I say I be more specific?

OK, thanks all for the info
good.gif

LEDs like This for instance

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It looks like a nice lighting arrangement JHR but I have no feel for the relationship between LEDs and fluorescents in terms of plant/algae growth.

Those LED'S in that link would be poor for plant growth, they are not high output Led's. I have just recently started using TMC Led's growbeams on my tanks and they are doing a wonderful job at growing plants.

Would I be able to have the TMC LEDs on all day do you know?

I was thinkin of having the LEDs on all throughout the day and have the fluorescent light on for 6-7 hours aswell for plant growth.

What you reckon?

Btw where did you get those LEDs from and were they expensive?

you would use TMC lights as any other tube light. The TMC (1) grow beams are equivalent to 1 x 24w T5HO. You can get a controller with them though, which dims the lights, ramps then up and down, it also can produce a storm effect (just a gimmick).

the initial outlay for the bulbs are cheap but over the long term they pay for themselves.

the cost breakdown goes someting like this...

T5 cost breakdown

Wattage of 1 T5's tube: 54W
Kilowatts of 1 T5 tube (watts / 1000 = kw): 0.054kW
Kilowatt hour of 1 T5 tube (kw x hours = kwh): 19.44
Cost in pence (kwh x cost of 1 unit of electricity = cost in pence to run item for 1 month): 330.48
Cost in (pence / 100) to run item for 1 month: £3.30
Cost of 1 T5's tube: £30

Electricity cost to run 2 T5's for 1 month: £6.60
Electricity cost to run 2 T5's for 1 year: £79.20
Replacement tube cost per year: £60.00
Total running cost for 1 year (electricity & replacing tube every year): £139.20
Total running cost for 10 years (electricity & replacing tube every year): £1392.00

LED cost breakdown

Wattage of 1 LED strip: 12W
Kilowatts of 1 LED strip (watts / 1000 = kw): 0.012kW
Kilowatt hour of 1 LED strip (kw x hours = kwh): 4.32
Cost in pence (kwh x cost of 1 unit of electricity = cost in pence to run item for 1 month): 73.44
Cost in (pence / 100) to run item for 1 month: £0.73
Electricity cost to run 1 Aquaray grow beams (2 strips) for 1 month: £1.46
Electricity cost to run 1 Aquaray grow beams (2 strips) for 1 year: £17.52
Total running cost for 10 years: £175.20

Wow, great in-depth post. Thank you.

Well I tried finding where I could buy the TMC strips on their website but I can't find their dealers..

Anyone know where they sell TMC LEDs in Bristol, UK?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back