Lighting Upgrade

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

grass569

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all i have a juwel rio 180 planted tank and as some of you may know the lights on these arent much good i have already changed the tubes and this made loads of difference but now i think its time to upgrade BUT the wife wont let me spend anymore money on the tank so ive got to do it on the cheap
Ive looked at a few options ie T5 compacts or adding extra T8s anybody got any ideas? Also what WPG would they be after upgrade and what would be the highest WPG you would recomend without adding Co2
Thanks in advance
Grass

There are a few similarities and a lot of differences

Similarity: Both are T5

Differences: check this thread out http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1148630

I know its for saltwater but there arent saltwater T5 linears and freshwater t5 linears, they are all the same.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1141564

Interesting, looks like the linears then what would be the best place to get them from and what tube would be best for both plant growth and fish

i edited the above post, thats where i got my linears. But its a retrofit kit and i dont know if you want a retrofit or full hood system.

Do you want to overdrive your T5's? (overdrive is where you use more wattage on the lamp which produces more light BUT creates more heat, requires a fan and endcaps, lamps dont last as long, and requires a special ballast. But you do get more wattage for less tubes)

Just make sure you get individual reflectors, otherwise you will waste a lot of light and you wont be any better than PC's.

i edited the above post, thats where i got my linears. But its a retrofit kit and i dont know if you want a retrofit or full hood system.

Do you want to overdrive your T5's? (overdrive is where you use more wattage on the lamp which produces more light BUT creates more heat, requires a fan and endcaps, lamps dont last as long, and requires a special ballast. But you do get more wattage for less tubes)

Just make sure you get individual reflectors, otherwise you will waste a lot of light and you wont be any better than PC's.
i will be bolting the new tube onto the flap of the original hood, dont think i will overdrive. i will use reflectors i already have them on my tubes now

thanks again

You already have the reflectors for the T5 that were made for T5 or do you have reflectors for PC that you are using for T5 (it is possible but maybe not as good)

Im guessing you will be retrofitting then? How long is the tank?

You already have the reflectors for the T5 that were made for T5 or do you have reflectors for PC that you are using for T5 (it is possible but maybe not as good)

Im guessing you will be retrofitting then? How long is the tank?

sorry confusing you i meant i have reflectors on my original tubes so i will buy new ones for th T5s yes iwill be retro fitting tank is 40" or 101cm whichever you use

in the long term T5 linears a much cheaper and more effective

Less watts used to get the same amount of light a higher watt PC fixture gives
Replace tubes less frequently

http://www.marine-lighting.co.uk/

Make sure you use HO T5 not NO T5.

in the long term T5 linears a much cheaper and more effective

Less watts used to get the same amount of light a higher watt PC fixture gives
Replace tubes less frequently

http://www.marine-lighting.co.uk/

Make sure you use HO T5 not NO T5.

anybody got any other views

Also what is the highest recomended WPG b4 i need to add Co2
What would be the best tube for both plants and fish and where is the best place to get them from
Thanks again

i wouldnt follow the wpg rule, get the lights, run them with the plants etc, if you are having problems with nutrients or algae growth or plant growth you may need CO2, if everything seems fine CO2 can remain as an option.

Most reactions

Back