lighting my 65 gallon

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Fish Fingers

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hey i was wondering what type of light i will need to light my 65 gallon tank and how many watts i will need. I want to have plants but i dont want them to die from the wrong lighting. The type of lighting i want to have is high lighting. is there a cheaper way to light a tank then buying those light stand reflecter things from a fish shop? im newbish to this whole lighting thing so if ive said somethign wrong please dont bash me:)

You are going to want to get 130-260 watts of lighting. You could always build your own hood, but this will require some wiring skills.

The cheapest way I can think of is to get a glass cover for the tank and buy some shop lights at a hardware store and mount them over the tank.

The type of lighting i want to have is high lighting.
This usually means you want at least 3 watts per gallon of light (200W +). However, ...

to light my 65 gallon tank
What are the dimensions of your tank? The only 65 gallon tank I know of is 36" long, 18" 'deep' (front to back) and 24" tall. If that's the size of your tank, then it sort of complicates things.

Hey there Fish fingers...i have a 65 gal. (48x18x18) and i currently have 160 watts of lighting over my tank and my plants are doing great....Now i found that the cheapest way to get to this is "shopping" around....I found flouresent light fixtures at a local Home Depot for $12.00 .... These hold 2 40 watt bulbs....I got 2 of them...Plus they had artifical daylight bulbs and aquarium bulbs for $6 and $8 each. I spent a little more money and got 2 bulbs from my local Ifs which cost a bit more but i think are worth it... When your looking at bulbs try finding ones that are 5600k ...anyways my total setup is worth about $70 but id be cheaper with dif bulbs...anyways hope i helped :D good luck!

ÐR

If you get fullspectrum lights you might find that 3 watts per gallon or more is needed for a heavy planted tank, but in special LFS bulbs most seem to get the same growth with 2 watts per gallon..

Look for fullspectrum lights these do work well and cost a lot less.

Or get the right LFS lights and mix them 50/50 with normal cool whites

Most reactions

Back