lighting for plants...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Silly me said:
what plants??
Maybe Java Fern, You'll have to get a fullspectrum light, normal coolwhite lights doesnt work well
Im not sure what sort of plants cos im jus starting out in all this so i dont really have a clue what im doing with plants and lights and i dont really have that much money for a proper tank light :S Any suggestions to what i should do?

Well, let's start at the beginning. What kind of top/hood do you have for the aquarium right now?

Bol said:
Well, let's start at the beginning. What kind of top/hood do you have for the aquarium right now?
lol none... -_- its jus open...

If you can afford it, get a hood and fluorescent lighting. If not then get at least a piece of plastic to cover it, this will keep your water from evaporating so much and keep the heat in if it's a tropical tank. Then I'd save up for fluorescents, that's what I'm doing at the moment ;)

NinjaSmurf said:
If you can afford it, get a hood and fluorescent lighting. If not then get at least a piece of plastic to cover it, this will keep your water from evaporating so much and keep the heat in if it's a tropical tank. Then I'd save up for fluorescents, that's what I'm doing at the moment ;)
I think im going to have to do that... i got perspex out the back that i can cut and put on till i can get some money but what about plants? Wait till i can get a proper light?

I'd wait until you got a top and light, before getting plants.

If you decide to make a top, I'd suggest putting a hinge in it, to make it easier to get into the tank. Something like this.

But, to tell the truth, you can get a 'standard' hood, like this one, for about $15. You'd be limited to low-light plants, but you sort of are no matter what, in a 10-gallon tank.

If you're handy, you could also rig up a light strip/hood with regular outlets and screw-in Complact Fluorescent bulbs, too. But, it'll be more expensive.

Bol said:
I'd wait until you got a top and light, before getting plants.

If you decide to make a top, I'd suggest putting a hinge in it, to make it easier to get into the tank. Something like this.

But, to tell the truth, you can get a 'standard' hood, like this one, for about $15. You'd be limited to low-light plants, but you sort of are no matter what, in a 10-gallon tank.

If you're handy, you could also rig up a light strip/hood with regular outlets and screw-in Complact Fluorescent bulbs, too. But, it'll be more expensive.
Sweet thanx for your advice! :D i might jus have to make a lid out of perspex and use artificial plants and use the desk light to see the fish for now cos im running low on money lol and when i can get some cash then i can get some proper lighting :D

Thanx again!

If you use a piece of plastic or glass to cover the top you could use a desk light. Either a 40w or a 60w works well (in my experience) with a 10g. As Silly Me wrote, it will be important though to get a full spectrum bulb. I'm using a 40w "natural daylight" bulb. The color spectrum is a tad low at 5000k (ideally you'd look for a color spectrum listed on the bulb of around 5500k-6500k) with a good color rendering index. However, with a DIY CO2 and fluorite substrate I'm getting pearling regularly with my plants (medium light, easy maintenance plants mainly).

One negative point about using a desk lamp is that you run the risk of not being able to illuminate the whole tank. I don't have a solution for that except to try to point the lamp around the tank depending on how well your plants are growing.

Most reactions

Back