Light vs depth?

Stryker

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi, I want to hear from someone who has a deep tank, around 24". I'm more than familiar with the watts per gallon rule of thumb, however the tank is 6 foot long and it does not apply here as by design I only want the one side illuminated.

Over the first 3 foot or so I have: 1 x 40 watt and 2 x 15 watt general fluorescent plant lights.

Anyone got any idea what light level this would be classed as under 24" of water? I was thinking low-medium.

From my experience it would be a low light tank - with double 40 watt bulbs over my 24" tall tank most live plants died, and the rest barely grew at all. Untill I save up enough for a high wattage 240 watt fixture I must stick with fake ones.

you might need more watts than a fluorescent could provide in 24+" deep tanks. MH would cost you the same as a fluorescent setup but provide you much more power. ( MH watts does not = fluorescent watts)

cost.. 240watts of fluorescent will cost about the same as 2x 175 watts MH bulbs..

The one I had in mind is a power compact strip with 4 x 65 watts.

just curius, has anybody actually tried lighting the plants from the side of the tank ? you know ? :) instead of placing the light on the top, placing it on the side so that depth wont really be a big deal if you want to light just one side ?? just making up stuff :)

I imagine they will grow all wonky?

Hmm, I figured this would be the case. Problem with fluorescent lights is their really low density, IE 10w per foot. I'll need at least 4 40w lights by the sounds of it.

I've already got three controllers stashed in my hood, its will be getting silly if it turns out I need 6 of them. The best I've found are the two up controllers, but then I'd still have 3 controllers and 6 bulbs in my hood. Next thing I know I'll need to add an extractor fan.

Does anyone know the colour temp of security lights? I ask as I've never seen packaging with it on.

In another thread here it looks like over in the states they have those engergy saver type compact all in one bulbs to light their tanks.

Why are us brits stuck with fixtures, fittings and seperate controllers?

Just found this site, I can get two T5 55w tubes and a twin controller for approx £83 (all in, inc delivery).

Or I can get a very simply twin T5 55w with reflectors and neat controller for approx £90 (all in, inc delivery).

Not bad me thinks.

I'm kind of hoping that 110w of T5 plant light, 40w plant fluorescent and two 15w fluorescent lights will be enough to illuminate the 3 foot of my tank thats planted.

IE they'd be lined up front to back on one side of my hood.

http://www.fishathome.co.uk/lighting_T5_asl.htm

Hi Stryker
My tank is 24inch down to 26inches
I have had lot problems with growing plants - my orginal lighting included

4X 36Watt T8 and a single 54watt T5. total 198watts. I have now upgraded to 378watt T5 lights and added C02 - too early to say how that will work out

but back to your orginal question I found the following link very helpful http://www.rexgrigg.com/mlt.htm

was orginal posted on this forum by enchanted

hope it helps you out

ob1

Interesting read ob1. I think I may get the level of lighting I need using a few T5 tubes..... Ideally though I could do with proper down lights, like using MH or something....

Have lots to think about, thanks.

Most reactions

Back