Lid or no lid?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I would prefer no lid and have some plants growing out of the aquarium because it is pleasing to the eye. But sometimes lids can save many many fish from jumping out

Hello everyone.

I'm new to the hobby and still have a lot to learn. As part of the bumpy journey of cycling my tank, I was advised by some folks here in the forum to get some floating plants. I ended up getting some duckweed since, in the store, they told me that it would grow fast and could survive almost any water parameters. I like the looks of it, so that's what I got.

It's not growing as much as I expected, especially after seeing online how quickly these replicate. I know lighting is a big factor, and I have strong lighting. I also learned that water movement prevents fast growth as well, so I'm assuming that is a factor. However, in a bit more than a week, I haven't seen any replication and started wondering if it's because of the lid I have in the tank (a black plastic lid). Honestly, I would much rather remove the lid for aesthetic purposes, but I'm concerned about having fish jumping out of the tank. At the moment, I have dalmation mollies, neon tetras, a small angelfish, an endler livebearer, and guppies.

Can I get rid of the lid?

You've got much good info here, it boils down to your personal preference BUT it should be based on the behavior of your fish. If you don't have known "jumpers", no lid will do. I've gone over 6 months without it (spring and summer) and just now I'm going back to it because as the weather cools off, the heater in the tank AND the apartment heat are kicking in and evaporation is increasing dramatically. Glad I kept the lid I almost tossed it.

Had to cut it to make room for the second filter I run (which was also a good excuse to use my shiny new dremel tool).🤣

Attachments

• 20221014_203059.jpg
    20221014_203059.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 16
You've got much good info here, it boils down to your personal preference BUT it should be based on the behavior of your fish. If you don't have known "jumpers", no lid will do. I've gone over 6 months without it (spring and summer) and just now I'm going back to it because as the weather cools off, the heater in the tank AND the apartment heat are kicking in and evaporation is increasing dramatically. Glad I kept the lid I almost tossed it.

Had to cut it to make room for the second filter I run (which was also a good excuse to use my shiny new dremel tool).🤣
Of course you are correct about it being a personal preference but taking the fish in to the decision.

Still I think a lid is better but then that is my personal preference. ;) Shoot, actually I have little choice with my rope fish. Even with your lid with the cutouts I'd be hunting the beastie all the time to put back in the tank. Even with your lower water level he would get out. His name is Clyde but should be Houdini. Don't know why I always refer to him as he as I have no real clue as to the sex. Ropes just always look like a 'he' to me as do plecos.

Forgetting about the rope fish I'd still do a lid for a few reasons such as less heat loss, less evaporation and less chance for a contaminate getting in the tank. I just think that the benefits of a hood outweigh any aesthetics of not having one. Even considering aesthetics think about lighting. With a hood the lighting is normally contained within the hood. Without a hood you would have to use lighting that mounted above the top of the tank. To me this would take away from the tank appearance.

I have African cichlids, DIY light on top of the tank, no lid. Not that I'm against lids but I'm lazy and cheap to buy or make one. It all depends on your fish as well, in about ten years I have not had an African cichlid take a flying leap out of the tank, but other fish have, like Frontosas, swordfish, Arowanas love to fly out of a tank they'll even find the smallest opening, rainbows and others. Angels are pretty docile, never had one jump out so it depends on the fish but I would advise for a lid.

The endler is probably the only one prone to escape the tank. I've lost a few of them. The others should be OK.
If you want quick plant cover then try water lettuce. If it gets going you'll end up selling the extra back to the LFS
Frogbit is a fast growing floating plant too. It is much smaller than the water lettuce and more commonly used in FW tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back