Lfs Selling Craydads Or Crayfish?

williamc

Fish Crazy
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
319
Reaction score
0
Points
0
My lfs is selling these big brown crayfish and I was wanting one so I was wondering what does it eat and could it be in a 55g with some bluegill???
 
They are primarily scavengers, so they will eat pretty much anything. They should be fine with your Bluegill as long as they are of decent size.
 
i've just set up a crayfish only tank, its fascinating to watch! they are incredible creatures!
 
Yea they are pretty big can they be in a 20 gallon with some cories till I get it into a bigger tank and how long can they survive in a bag or whatever they put them in and can they live without water??
 
I wouldn't put them in with Cories. Because they both fill the same niche in the aquarium, the Crayfish may have a go at them. They cannot live without water, but will survive out of the water for some time. I once had one spend the night (12 hours) crawling about my house. LOL
 
how about in a 10 gallon fishtank with gold fish till I get him In a bigger one and could he live in a bowl or something for a while or could I just keep him out for like a day?
 
keep who out for a day neither would surivive. if you dont have the space to accomadate him then dont buy him. and a crawfish should never be kept in a bowl if you ask me they should be banned. and remeber most lfs can order specific specimens so ask before you buy and make sure you can accomadate for him

and a craw fish shouldnt be kept out of water
 
I'm sorry, my post may have been misleading. You should not keep a crayfish out of water. Mine was not intentionally kept out of water, he escaped through a gap in the hood.
 
DO NOT put them in with cories, i made that mistake and nearly lost my prize female.
 
OK this is what I was trying to say I have a 55g at my house but IM not at my house so I would have to put him in a 10 gallon with 2 goldfish would that be ok for a day or two and move the cories to the 10 gallon??
 
Depending on what kind of crayfish, he might kill just about anything. My red swamp crayfish is vicious. At the LFS he wiped out a shipment of smaller electric blue crayfish. I tried keeping hatchetfish with him and he's managed to pick them off one at a time by crawling up the heater and waiting for them to come in range. I'd suggest a long shallow tank like a 20 long. You could try keeping several in there (a crayfish site I visit suggests 5 gallons each for most commonly sold species) but I'd leave the fish out unless you're willing to risk losing them.
 
ok thanks but he would be fine in there if he doesnt eat the fish??
 

Most reactions

Back
Top