Lfs Display Tanks

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

MBOU

Recovering LFS Worker
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I'm just curious on your opinions, what makes you go "oooh" in terms of display tanks at an Aquatic Shop?

There are so many shops out there with a little 20L tank with a few guppies or worse still... a few goldfish dragging themselves around it... then suddenly with all the hype about 'monster fish' there are lots of arrowana display tanks...

Without going completely mad... with "i'd love to see a 20ft long tank with oscars in it" kind of replies... because we are assuming shops do have budgets, better things for their staff to be doing than spending hours and hours working on display tanks and a lack of space for a non profitable tank...

But here are a few examples...

*Biotopes (if so... what biotopes? What fish??)
*Planted Tanks
*Nano Tanks
*Cold water/Tropical/Marine (i wont say brackish as very few shops have brackish systems to warrent a display tank advertising what they dont have)
*Species Tanks
*Specific decor... (purely rock/wood/ornaments etc)

You never know, if ideas are put forward, you might find more shops with decent display tanks that arent just what the staff want or what is 'easy' but is what customers want to see...

Most I have seen are pretty poor but the one at outside inside aquatics is a really nice planted tank. Really superb looking tank.

planted tank with discus/angelfish
biggrin.gif

Have you been to Wharf Aquatics in Mansfield? Most impressive giant gouramis. They also have big oscars and other SA cichlids. Also have a Mbuna tank. Worth a trip just to admire their stocks. Also the only place I've been to that sell stingrays!

Adrian

A nice planted Discus & Cardinal setup has a spot in any fish store in my opinion. Fantastic, my local MA has a beauty of a discus setup. P@H Stockport also had a nice Discus setup the last time I was there :good:

James.

I always find oddball tanks really fascinating, either very well planted or an empty tank with a simple background and large pebbles. And a river biotape is always pleasing, with lots of nice river fish. Discus tanks are so cliché, to the point they bore me.

MA near me have fantastic displays. Piranna, large clown loach, planted tank, also one with 200 penguin tetras, diferent but actualy beautiful to watch them! Then one for plecs, all with dif displays

Oh and some rays!

Which MAs are you guys on about?

Id love to have a brackish set up with pale sand, vallis and brackish pipefish and bumblebee gobies... that would be an unusual one but *sigh* never going to happen lol.

I am a huge discus fan but have to agree, discus display tanks are too cliche in shops and tbh i dont think shops are the best place to have discus display tanks with hundreds of peoples sprogs peering in and bashing the glass.

one of my lfs has a 2 foot fire eel in a tank with some clown loach, silver dollars and angels. i just like to see big examples of fish, not too fussed what the tank is like.

i like larger fish in a big tank marine or tropical

QSS has a large tank of rainbows, which is really nice, although hidden away around a corner, and also a Fluval Edge on the counter, which is always poorly stocked in my opinion, but I may be prejudgiced because I don't like Edges!

i think a couple of nicely set up tanks in whatever design to set the shop off is good ,to show what can be done, but it's more important that the tanks you buy from are not too crammed with stock and they have sensible mixes in those tanks and that the fish are healthy and not dead. my lfs is brilliant at this and i've never had a fish die soon after purchase. they also give good advice and have knowledgeable staff. and ask questions about the customers tank/s so they don't inadvertantly sell something unsuitable.

Grovsnor tropicals in northern ireland has an amazing display tank that's the full length of the counter. At least 15 foot with some lovely rays. They have some nice marine tanks too. I'm always in awe when I walk in there and look at the marine displays but just too scared to drop my toes into marine.

Oasis aquatics had a nice rainbowfish setup last time i was there. Had a few other bits in it aswell, loaches i think.

James

swallow aquatics in rayleigh had some cool display tanks last time i was there , a massive reef tank , and african lake tank which must of been 6ft cube , and a caimen setup .

Most reactions

Back