Let's Talk Tank Vacuums.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

SarahBeth

Reaction score
So I got a Loland tank vacuum gravel cleaner and I'm not impressed. It worked ok at first but seemed to loose power after several minutes. Also I had to double up the filter bag because it was spitting out particles. I don't know what I was thinking because I usually read reviews but I did the dunce thing and didn't read the reviews first. So what are y'all using to vacuum the waste in your tanks? And is there one you used that was no good?

So I got a Loland tank vacuum gravel cleaner and I'm not impressed. It worked ok at first but seemed to loose power after several minutes. Also I had to double up the filter bag because it was spitting out particles. I don't know what I was thinking because I usually read reviews but I did the dunce thing and didn't read the reviews first. So what are y'all using to vacuum the waste in your tanks? And is there one you used that was no good?
Typically people vacuum the gravel when you do water changes. If needed, vacuum one part of the tank then next water change, do the other side.

If possible, return the Loland thing and just get a siphon gravel cleaner.

It runs on either battery or plug in. I had it plugged in. Now that the tank is finally cycled I didn't want to do a water change just yet. But the waste needed to go. I don't mind vacuuming it between water changes. I have 2 pleco's and they poop as much as they eat. My bottom feeder got eaten by something else, I think the gourami's. So the tank needed it. But after reading reviews this vacuum probably wont last another couple of uses. I like the electric vacuum. I have to stand on a step stool to use it so electric makes it easier for me.
So what brand are y'all using.

I use a Python Water Changer that attaches to the sink. Turn the tap in, it creates suction and pulls the water out of the tank and into the sink. I put a mesh catch in the drain to make sure my sink isn't damaged. Then stop the water, add condition to the tank and flip the switch to put tap water into tank and turn water back on (have to match temp, though).

I use a Python Water Changer that attaches to the sink. Turn the tap in, it creates suction and pulls the water out of the tank and into the sink. I put a mesh catch in the drain to make sure my sink isn't damaged. Then stop the water, add condition to the tank and flip the switch to put tap water into tank and turn water back on (have to match temp, though).
Same here, but I use gravity to drain, huge waste of water (IMO) using faucet suction to drain, and easy too easy to suck up stuff you'd rather not (fish, shrimp) with that much suction power.

I lay the faucet end in my flowerbeds, plants love the nutrients from tank water...I'm lucky to have both faucets and doorways close to my tanks, small house...and I'm not afraid to suck on the hose to get the siphon started, lol....used to steal gasoline when I was a teen, so I've had practice......JUST KIDDING....if you're not an old man like me, that part probably didn't make any sense

OP, get one of these, make sure you have a faucet within 25' of your tank (they sell longer ones), and that your faucet has a screw-off aerator...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000255NXM/?tag=ff0d01-20

Well worth the $, if you wanna keep fish, you're gonna do WC's, this thing makes it easy

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I also have a battery powered vacuum - different brand but it only lasted for two cleanings and it quit on me - so I'm returning it. The nice thing about it was it removed the grime but didn't remove water. So if you accidently overfed or whatever you could quickly suction out the dirty area and not do a whole water change.

I use a siphon method to clean and remove the water from the tank - it's just a tube with a suction ball on the end of it - once it gets started, water comers out the suction ball and into a bucket, but we were finding that it removed water so fast that we ran out of water before we were done cleaning - so we'd add a bucket or two of water back in and suction that out giving us more time to clean. But that got to be pretty stupid so I bought the vacuum. It was a really good brand and worked way better than the suction tube! Loved it.

I have a python and think it's the most stupid and dangerous tool ever invented. For one, while removing the water it has to waste twice that amount from the faucet to get enough suction to drain your tank 50 feet away. And then in my 60 yr old plumbing the sink will overflow all over the floor at some point while I am in the other room trying to clean the bottom of the tank. Plus there is absolutely no way to add the chemicals to the water when you're putting the water back in so you end up dumping the entire load of declorinator, and in my case also a PH regulator to adjust my PH to 7 and that means I'm basically dumping PH 9.4 clorinated water on the heads of all my fish until it has time to "mix" with all the water and extra chemicals you put in the tank in advance. NOT GOOD - THAT IS A SH*TY way to treat your fish. Oh and then you have the fun of trying to get all the leftover water from a 50 foot hose - that takes at least an hour (you should NEVER leave it in the hose or mold will grow). Then you have the fun of rolling up this gigantic hose and finding some sink to store it under. I have no idea why perfectly wise fish people would use such a tool - it's not just on this forum either but also on all the youtube fish channels as being the greatest thing since sliced bread. I guess they have perfect water and better plumbing than most people.

I use a siphon method to clean and remove the water from the tank - it's just a tube with a suction ball on the end of it - once it gets started, water comers out the suction ball and into a bucket, but we were finding that it removed water so fast that we ran out of water before we were done cleaning - so we'd add a bucket or two of water back in and suction that out giving us more time to clean.
Did you do anything to pause the flow once you'd started cleaning?

What I mean is, you start the syphon, push the tube bit into the gravel and suck all the muck out, then either stick your thumb over the end of the tube that's in the bucket, or crimp the hose to stop the water pouring out, then you can move the bell part to the next section you want to clean, release your thumb/the crimp in the hose, suck up the muck, pause the flow again, etc.

Makes it easy to stop the syphon from sucking if a fish or shrimp strays to close, and reduces the amount of water being removed, so your tank isn't empty before you've got halfway done cleaning the substrate :)

Did you do anything to pause the flow once you'd started cleaning?
I have a garage filled with stuff such as a leftover piece of shower stall liner (rubber). I glue a small piece of rubber (2"x2") to a piece of square PVC and use it as a cap over the gravel cleaning tube to stop the siphon. A jar lid may work, the suction from the siphon will hold it in place.

I have a garage filled with stuff such as a leftover piece of shower stall liner (rubber). I glue a small piece of rubber (2"x2") to a piece of square PVC and use it as a cap over the gravel cleaning tube to stop the siphon. A jar lid may work, the suction from the siphon will hold it in place.
Are you a bit of a pack-rat, perchance? ;) :lol:

I'm far too lazy/inept to be faffing with that.. my thumb is right there and I won't forget where it is :D

Are you a bit of a pack-rat, perchance? ;) :lol:

I'm far too lazy/inept to be faffing with that.. my thumb is right there and I won't forget where it is :D
I use the lid to cover the gravel cleaning tube, my thumb will not cover it.:good:

I am not a junk collector but I don't throw away leftovers from projects. I am currently suffering from I need to clean my closet syndrome which typically affects older women. You have a pair of turquoise shoes you haven't worn in 10 years but don't want to get rid of them in case you buy a turquoise dress and need a matching pair of turquoise shoes. Of course when finally find that turquoise dress, you discover the turquoise shoes no longer fit.
:-(

In case you interested, here is my garage, what a mess! Lot of cleaning and throwing stuff away this summer....

20210404_102643[1].jpg

Never heard of a battery powered aquarium vacuum. :huh:

I’m just using a tube. I manually start the siphon each time, which is super easy to do, once you get the hang of it.
I use a siphon to move water out but days it needs vacuuming in goes my battery one who you can use a mains, so i brought the plug and it's brilliant but i always stick a net just in my water to catch anything left in the nozzle but i purchased this when i had the Boyu being so deep as you have 3 extensions for height.

I use a siphon to move water out but days it needs vacuuming in goes my battery one who you can use a mains, so i brought the plug and it's brilliant but i always stick a net just in my water to catch anything left in the nozzle but i purchased this when i had the Boyu being so deep as you have 3 extensions for height.

Interesting! ?

Most reactions

Back