Lethargic Zebra Danio

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Bruben

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

Zebra Danios were the first fish I got when I set up my tank a few months ago so Iā€™m quite attached!

This male has always been slimmer than the rest (3 males and 3 females) but always seemed fine darting around like the rest of them.

Since yesterday heā€™s been a bit lethargic and not acting very danio-like. He still came to eat when I fed them this morning but for the rest of the time he seems to be keeping to himself in the bottom half of the tank.

Iā€™ve attached a pic in case there is anything you can see that Iā€™m missing.

Any advice would be gratefully received šŸ˜Š

Cheers!

EDIT: checked all of the water parameters this morning and got the following results:
Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5

PH 6.5 (this has dropped from 7.5)

KH 4

GH 10

Attachments

• D4BC8DBC-F4CA-468E-A514-2D68B53734D7.jpeg
    D4BC8DBC-F4CA-468E-A514-2D68B53734D7.jpeg
    292.9 KB · Views: 32
What does his poop look like?

------------------
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

What does his poop look like?

------------------
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.
Not managed to see him poop unfortunately!

Iā€™ll crack on with the water change, glass clean, gravel vacuum and filter rinse now.

Is it likely to be disease?

Cheers!

it could be age, an internal problem or a slightly dirty tank. the water changes and filter cleaning is a way to rule out that being the cause and the clean environment can sometimes help fish feel better and recover from whatever is causing the problem. however, it doesn't always work.

Thanks @Colin_T. I had done a 25% change a couple days ago but do have a bit of a algae problem at the mo! Got more live plants on the way to try and help šŸ˜‚

Iā€™ve done all the things you mentioned and Iā€™ll continue hoovering the sand daily.

Thanks again šŸ‘šŸ»

Just to update - did a large water change and have been hoovering the sand daily since and for the past 2-3 days heā€™s been back zipping around with the other danios! Thanks for the advice @Colin_T šŸ˜€

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back