Led Strip Lights

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

benthyer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I'm going to be setting up a new tank and I have everything I need except for a light.

So my plan was to get one of thise LED strip lights as a cheap solution but will they be suitable for plants? I only plan on having low tech stuff.

My only concern is that the output from the lights won't be enough even though it is all low tech.

White 12V LED light strips will work for plants.  I used that to make an lamp for my orchids   It puts out about 3000 lumins of light.  

Most low cost light strips don't come with many specs listed but a 3000K 12V light strip will typically put out about 70 lumens of light per foot (1ft = 30.5cm) with a power consumption of about 1.4 Watts per foot.   They typically come in roles about 16 feet long.  One role will put out about 1000 lumens.  There are a lot of companies making this stuff.  some are brighter with better waterproofing  than others but they typically cost more.

If you have an existing tank look at the bulbs in the lamp.  the lumen output is sometimes listed on the bulb or you can go to a store and look at the replacement bulbs that would fit the old aquarium.   Once you know how many lumens the old tank is using you cam make adjustments based on the surface area difference between the old and new tanks.  Once you know the lumen requirement determine how much will been needed and how much power would be needed..  Then buy a power supply capable of putting out 12V at about 120% of the power requirement.

The difficult issue for aquarium is that iif you want to place them on the bottom of the tank lid you will have to water proof it in some way.  If it is not fully water proof it will fail.  Many cheep strips are labeled waterproof but they are actually only water proof on one side.  The adhesive side is typically not waterproofed.   Additionally the wire connections on the ends will need to be waterproofed.  The other issue is the adhesive will likely fail due to the moisture.  Use mechanical clamps instead of adhesive to mount it to the lid.  I made two id using LED strip lights but on the first one the glue i used didn't last long.  I then made a second with a much better bond but it failed due to inadequate water proofing.  

Given the moisture issue I would get one sheet of transparent acrylic  sheet cut it to cover the top with openings for pump power lines and , air line for the heater, pump and air stone.Then with a second sheet of acrylic mount your LED light strips and complete the wiring and then glue or screw  that to the top of the sheet already on the tank.  then seal the gap with silicone rubber.  This would protect the LEDs from moisture and and prevent LEDs from falling into the water  due to adhesive failure.  When I get around to making a third cover it will be made with 2 sheets of acrylic.  

StevenF said:
White 12V LED light strips will work for plants.  I used that to make an lamp for my orchids   It puts out about 3000 lumins of light.  

Most low cost light strips don't come with many specs listed but a 3000K 12V light strip will typically put out about 70 lumens of light per foot (1ft = 30.5cm) with a power consumption of about 1.4 Watts per foot.   They typically come in roles about 16 feet long.  One role will put out about 1000 lumens.  There are a lot of companies making this stuff.  some are brighter with better waterproofing  than others but they typically cost more.

So are you saying that I need to get 3 rolls to get the required output of lighting? Sorry if I have misunderstoof what you have said. I'm still trying to get my head around lighting and all the different things that play a role with it.

Also do I get cool white or warm white?

Here's one that I have found which gives out 2700 Lumens 
https://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-strip-lights/5-meter-smd-led-strip-light-60-led-s-per-meter-warm-white-best-price-on-the-internet.html

Alternatively I have just found this which will give me just over 1000 lumens per metre, however the challenge I face is trying to fit 3m of lighting over a 35cm wide tank
unsure.png

No, I was using my Orchid light as an example to show that yes the plants will grow and that even high light levels can be achieved with strip lights. My orchid light is 24X5 inches in size.  

Color temperature doesn't really matter for plants.  So go with a color temperature you prefer.  I am using 3000K in my aquarium.  The strips you provided links to look promising and are twice as bright as most low cost strips I see in the US.  

According to one book I have:
Low light plants need 100-500 Lux per gallon
medium light plants need 500-1000 Lux per gallon
high light plants need 000-1500 Lux per gallon

However those recommendations are for tank less than 3 feet deep. Deeper tanks will need even more light. In reality any recommendation on light levels should be dependent on surface area and depth of tank, not gallons or liters.    for most commonly available plants at local fish stores medium light should work well.

Ok so that set of lights I have found is a definite option. I'm going to see if I have a suitable power supply know
Lying around meaning the LED setup will only cost me £10.

I have also been considering using a 25w CAN bulb which is 6500k and gives out 1550 lumens.

But I potentially only have to pay for a bulb as I'm pretty sure I have a lamp I could use or get for free.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back