Led Lighting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

seffieuk

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!
Reaction score
In the nesr future I want to add to m my t5 lighting, I have been looking at LEDs, in particular the aquarays. However I understand there is soon to be released a newer, cheaper and better system - does anyone have any info on this?

Also:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marine-led-lighting-...%3A1%7C294%3A30

What do you think?

Seffie x

:fish:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
i wasnt particually impressed with my aquarays, thats why i sold them.

Although TMC are supposed to be releasing a new aquaray with output comparable to halides.

Ah ha, maybe that is what I was thinking of.................

Seffie x

ps does it seem to you that all these new and expensive things which keep coming along never seem to live up to the hype :crazy:

Email I got back today - what do you think?

Hi,

Thanks for your interest.

Our new Brilliance range is now released and being sold on eBay for a short time – the website www.aquariumledlighting.co.uk will be the place to buy them when it is launched this week

Kind Regards

Customer Service

Aquawave (UK) Ltd

e: [email protected]

t: 01325 487013

w: www.aquawave.co.uk

Seffie x

After reading a few of the setups on UR this looks like te best match for my setup and i can always modify later for auto sunrise sunset if needed ;)

<a href="http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=317725" target="_blank">http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=317725</a>

Blooming heck was he talking in a different language :crazy: :lol:

The only thing i understood was the kelvin rating - and that is no more than a t5 marine white, juwel high light bulb without reflector, 20000 K

Seffie x

seems like a lot of trouble to go to get what could be achieved by one marine white high light tube! Or have i missed something?

From what i understand this is equivilant to MH but as you have the blues and whites on dimmers you can tune the colour to what suits you best in addtion LED`s use far less power and the bulbs last longer (10 years I see quoted)

For me this works well as I can only get Compacts into a 18" hood i will need 3 of these if I want to do SPS cost wise this is very close run thing with a little bit of DIY skills.

On a 10h day, my Luxeon Star III's *should* do about 30 years according to manufacurer claims... Will they? Well, the proof will be in the pudding if they are still in service in 30 years :lol:

5 Luxeon Star III's and the higher-end Cree's will do roughtly the same Lumens output to a 150W halide, but give a better PAR (useable light), on paper. They use a fraction of the power to make the light also. In most cases, heat issues are avoided too.

I would not go with an "off the shelf" unit though, nobody has one that uses good LED's for it yet. DIY is the LED route to choose at this point in time IMO :nod:

Desite the different "electronics nerd" talk in the threads linked to, LED's are no more complex really than a light bulb. String of LED's connect to a power supply via a Constant current driver. nice and easy unless you want them to dim, they things get more tricky, but still not too bad (he says :lol: )

All the best
Rabbut

Most reactions

trending

Back