Least killifish with guppies?

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
Why should it mess up their genes?

You don't normally keep them together because most killifish come from soft acid water and guppies come from hard water with a pH above 7.0

Essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
If you are worried about them interbreeding, they can't as they are totally different species.

OP
Sgooosh

Sgooosh

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Why should it mess up their genes?

You don't normally keep them together because most killifish come from soft acid water and guppies come from hard water with a pH above 7.0\
yeh, just wondering
If you are worried about them interbreeding, they can't as they are totally different species.
i was saying least killifish 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♂️

Essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Least killifish as in Heterandria formosa? No they can't breed with guppies. Guppies are in the genus Poecilia while Heterandria formosa are in the genus Heterandria. Different genus.

OP
Sgooosh

Sgooosh

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Least killifish as in Heterandria formosa? No they can't breed with guppies. Guppies are in the genus Poecilia while Heterandria formosa are in the genus Heterandria. Different genus.
ohhh that makes sense. can i keep them with guppies then?

Essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
In theory, yes. But in practice? There may be things which make it inadvisable which I am unaware of such as would guppies intimidate Heterandria.

ClownLurch

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Mine were ok with guppies, WCMM and Medaka. Only problem being their size in a largish tank 120L made em difficult to see. You’d sometimes have to sit for ten mins before catching sight of one. They’d occasionally swim through the bigger fish but most times kept towards the bottom and back amongst the plants.

I moved em into a 39L and they’re visible almost immediately.

OP
Sgooosh

Sgooosh

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Mine were ok with guppies, WCMM and Medaka. Only problem being their size in a largish tank 120L made em difficult to see. You’d sometimes have to sit for ten mins before catching sight of one. They’d occasionally swim through the bigger fish but most times kept towards the bottom and back amongst the plants.

I moved em into a 39L and they’re visible almost immediately.
i have a 283g...