Leaning On The Edge.....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Brilly91

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Sooo

Im leaning on the edge of setting up a marine tank just a little push from doing it.

All i need is a good set of arguing points to convert one of my tanks as the missus isnt as keen.

So lets all get creative and get me there.

I wish you luck with it.
Been trying to convince myself and the missus to do the same for about a year.
But in the end I just cannot find arguments to justify the extra investment and hassle. In the future I hope to do it.
But right now I do not have the time for a proper saltwater tank and to be honest I probably would struggle to have budget for a decent setup.
Anyway I did my research and saltwater is a completely different game from freshwater, suggest you gather as much information you can before making the jump.
Hope to see the tank if you do decide to go for it.

P.s my two kids already spend most of their day trying to mess up my planted tanks imagine arriving home after work and find toys or handfulls of fish food inside my reef. I rather wait for them to grow.

Oh man, I would post a huge pro and cons page here but am about to go to sleep so I shall be BACK!

Arguing with the misses/misters.  One of the greatest challenges for the enthusiastic fish-keeper.  :)

I'd help you, but I don't know much about marine tanks.  One arguing point could be the colors of a marine tank that are difficult to obtain in a FW tank.

Justification: it'll be a new experience for you. This world is often set up against us having new experiences, so take this one now before it's too late and you regret it.

All i need is a good set of arguing points to convert one of my tanks as the missus isnt as keen.

Well, the pros are all in the personal interest and the animals, and that you can have a beautiful showcase reef tank if that's what you're after (but it takes mountains of effort). Marine is more expensive in general and there is a lot less margin for error compared to most freshwater tanks. Larger is easier and safer for the animals (because of the margin of error issue) but it is obviously more expensive to go bigger. If you are a fish person rather than an invert/coral person, you'll also want to go big since you can't heavily stock smaller tanks with fish in the same way that is possible with fw community tanks that have lots of little fish. Figure out what stock you're interested in (which is important - a tank that seems boring to its owner is one that is prone to neglect) and then look into the requirements of those animals. You'll get a pretty good idea of the feasibility and what you're up against when you do that. Also have a look at the FAQ thread at the top of this section if you haven't already and take a look at some of the journals to get stocking ideas if you're stuck.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back